colorful fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:-|

It just seems a little overboard for people to jump on this kid and tell him he is horribly overstocked when he has five fish in a 55 gallon. In the years it takes for these fish to reach ginormous proportions he may buy another tank.

could we possibly allow him a dwarf gouramis? ;)
in my opinion the biggest prob with this site is when someone asks a question about a fish it inevitably turns into a debate about how overstocked the tank is.if you look almost every thread ends up with this argument,give it a rest!

maybe you should read the rules of the forum...

Ethical fishkeeping:
The owners of Aquarium Advice adhere to certain standards of ethical fishkeeping. We believe that freshwater and saltwater aquarists are directly responsible for the health and well being of any aquatic animals in their care, be they fish or invertebrate. These responsibilities include providing a healthy aquatic environment, humane treatment, humane euthanasia (when required), as well as obtaining and disposing of aquatic animals in such a way that does not damage sensitive local ecosystems. Posts advocating the illegal collection of fish or invertebrates, inhumane treatment, flushing live animals down the toilet, or releasing them into the wild will be removed.

Part of a healthy aquatic environment, as well as humane treatment involves providing a tank suitable to the needs of the fish. If you have a problem with people trying to make the best out of everyones fishes life, maybe you should go elsewhere?

+1 Rookie.

Cabezon~ He has a tube, a hollow log, a low cave, and a man castle. I am getting a piece of PVC this week, and am going to stick beach glass all over it. He is never in his houses anyway, he is out all the time.

Convict~ Would you rather everyone say "OH! Your stoking list looks GREAT! You should put 15 more fish in there." Only to have the person come back 3 days later and say "All of my fish are dying and I don't know why?" Most people don't buy their fish because they want to kill something by letting it suffer in an overstocked tank.

maybe you should read the rules of the forum...

Ethical fishkeeping:
The owners of Aquarium Advice adhere to certain standards of ethical fishkeeping. We believe that freshwater and saltwater aquarists are directly responsible for the health and well being of any aquatic animals in their care, be they fish or invertebrate. These responsibilities include providing a healthy aquatic environment, humane treatment, humane euthanasia (when required), as well as obtaining and disposing of aquatic animals in such a way that does not damage sensitive local ecosystems. Posts advocating the illegal collection of fish or invertebrates, inhumane treatment, flushing live animals down the toilet, or releasing them into the wild will be removed.

Part of a healthy aquatic environment, as well as humane treatment involves providing a tank suitable to the needs of the fish. If you have a problem with people trying to make the best out of everyones fishes life, maybe you should go elsewhere?
you knew when i said the stocking police i meant you didnt you rookie?but i could name quite a few more but the main police are you and hn1. not interested in starting a war of words,this will be my last post on the subject.i will continue to read and post on this site and you can continue to correct everyones horribly overstocked tanks

I beleive that if you are on this site it is because you respect fish. Helping others understand is not a personal hit. Some people get the same questions daily. So I think some times it is hard to tell everyone the happy stories. Just say, your fish will get too big for your tank. Rookie gives good advice and has the fish in mind. I think not everyone knows how big some fish can get. If some body doesn't speak up then the fish will suffer.

you knew when i said the stocking police i meant you didnt you rookie?but i could name quite a few more but the main police are you and hn1. not interested in starting a war of words,this will be my last post on the subject.i will continue to read and post on this site and you can continue to correct everyones horribly overstocked tanks

I'll take it as a compliment that you decided to call me out for ethically and logically stocking tanks and for offering advice to new people that I believe is correct. I don't mind the debate either. Are these 4 fish fine for a good long time? Yes, but they WILL outgrow the tank if they are kept healthy and live long enough. For everyone that says "I'm getting a bigger tank soon", there are two that meant to and never do. You can find their ads with the free oscars on craigslist. These are just facts as I see them and why I state my opinion.

Guess I might as well add my name to the list of folks who are stocking police because I sure agree in ethical fish keeping. Heck, I even refuse to buy any more GBRs because ours keep dying for no reason. So guess that means I have ethics, and seeing the other two names on the stocking police list, I'm in good company.

Back
Top Bottom