Colorful Fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missyanne280

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello, I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank that was given to me and I would like to add more fish, currently I have 2 african dworf frogs, 6 in common pleco, 3 guppies, a couple neons, a couple (2) other tetras. I would like to get some nice looking & colorful additions. Non- aggressive, any suggestions? (Prefer fish that arent very expensive, this is my first tank and dont want to regret any purchases, I am going to do my best :) ):cool:

Just wondering, do you know that the pleco will get to around eighteen inches? It needs a bigger tank. Some people say a 125 gallon tank is enough, some say even that is cramped. If you have that fish and plan on keeping it, the tank must be upgraded. If you don't plan on upgrading then rehoming would be the best option. There are smaller varieties of pleco out there, such as bristle nose or rubber lip.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Just wondering, do you know that the pleco will get to around eighteen inches? It needs a bigger tank. Some people say a 125 gallon tank is enough, some say even that is cramped. If you have that fish and plan on keeping it, the tank must be upgraded. If you don't plan on upgrading then rehoming would be the best option. There are smaller varieties of pleco out there, such as bristle nose or rubber lip.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Yes, I know. Unfortunatly, the previous owners of the tank (I was just given it) didnt pay any mind to which breed they were purchasing. She said she just wanted an algae eatter and bought it. Sadly she had him/her for 4 YEARS and it is only 6 inches. Therefore, I am told that his growth was stunted. :-( and probably wont get any bigger. I do plan on getting a bigger tank. But this is my very first tank so I am going to wait for alittle bit.

Oh that poor fish!! I'm glad that it wasn't your mistake though. It's so sad when a fish gets stunted. I feel sorry for the fish. I'm getting a bristlenose for my new twenty nine soon, and his name will be Ninja.

What are the "other" tetras. Are the guppies male or female? I am fan of tetras and they do like to be in groups. In my 29 I have normal neons, cardinal tetras and albino neons. They look really nice especially with my black gravel. I just added my black neons and gold tetras to the tank. The gold tetras are super active. Once I finish getting the final platties out of the tank I am going to get some albino black neons.
I guess what I am saying is I would get some more neons/cardinal tetras and some black neons and or glowlight tetras to go with them.
If you are looking for more color than that endlers are very pretty and stay pretty small.
Really any tetra should work in that tank as long as you have them in groups of 5 or more.

Oh that poor fish!! I'm glad that it wasn't your mistake though. It's so sad when a fish gets stunted. I feel sorry for the fish. I'm getting a bristlenose for my new twenty nine soon, and his name will be Ninja.

They really should outlaw the sale of common plecos. They are starting to wreck havoc down in florida...

I haven't heard about that. What's going on down there?

I do too!! Hopefully he/they will be more comfortable and happier while in my care.. :) I am going to do my best

They are becoming a pest and out competing native fish. People buy them and then when they get to big they release them into lakes and rivers. In places where it freezes they don't survive but down in places like florida they thrive. They have tons of them that are **** near 2 feet long. I bet if you google some pics you can find pics of some fishermen have caught.

Wow. My friend has a friend whose dad has an aquarium. He kinda makes me mad though because he has way overstocked twenty gallon with a common pleco. He's had three. When they get too big he sets them free in the pond in the nearest park. It freezes here, cause it's Iowa, but it's jut sad that he sets a captive raised fish free to survive on it's own. Especially when he knows the freeze will kill it.

What are the "other" tetras. Are the guppies male or female? I am fan of tetras and they do like to be in groups. In my 29 I have normal neons, cardinal tetras and albino neons. They look really nice especially with my black gravel. I just added my black neons and gold tetras to the tank. The gold tetras are super active. Once I finish getting the final platties out of the tank I am going to get some albino black neons.
I guess what I am saying is I would get some more neons/cardinal tetras and some black neons and or glowlight tetras to go with them.
If you are looking for more color than that endlers are very pretty and stay pretty small.
Really any tetra should work in that tank as long as you have them in groups of 5 or more.

I believe the other tetras are Congo Tetras.. not exactly sure tho. They look kinda like an Angel fish. male i believe, pretty blue tails.

How many neons do you have? Only 2? People recomend keeping around six or more because they feel more comfortable...they like bigger groups

Well fish will do fine if they are released...Its not like they need to be raised in the wild but yea I would have a hard time doing it knowing it would die from the cold. They are having that problem with pirahana or whatever too. Up as far north as Missouri. There is a lake where they are catching full sized ones and it looks like they are breading.

Well, what I was thinking was that conditions would be so different from the tanks it was raised in. It could adjust if it didn't die first.

img_1241352_0_0f9574dc17cb264ea621a1aa71a07674.jpg

These are Congo Tetras.

How many neons do you have? Only 2? People recomend keeping around six or more because they feel more comfortable...they like bigger groups
Yes there is 2 maybe 3. I was just given the tank, I will bringing it home on Sunday.. I will be adding more fish asap! The woman that has it now clearly didnt do any reading on the fish she bought. She just went and bought a couple (2 or 3) of each type. I am trying to right her wrong :)

Not sure what the ones with blue tails are...If I were you I would take the Congos to a LFS and trade them in. They are expensive, and large fish. They can get as large as 3.5 inches and should be kept in groups of 5 or more. A 29 is too small for them. I actually just turned in 2 for store credit and got a nice amount for them. The price tag they put on them is 55 bucks for the pair...

Not sure what the ones with blue tails are...If I were you I would take the Congos to a LFS and trade them in. They are expensive, and large fish. They can get as large as 3.5 inches and should be kept in groups of 5 or more. A 29 is too small for them. I actually just turned in 2 for store credit and got a nice amount for them. The price tag they put on them is 55 bucks for the pair...

I will look in to it. thanks for the info.. :) My mistake I think the ones with the tails are actually the Guppies :silly: lol
Geeze I have alot of reading to do!! I dont know basically anything about fish!! I guess I am gonna learn as I go,.... thank god for this site :B-fly:

Back
Top Bottom