Columbian Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonnBallenger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 4" columbian shark from the LFS today. He was in a salt water tank, but the sales guy assured me i could mix some of my home aquarium water in his bag, float him as usual and then put him directly into my tank. I did as instructed, and he freaked out for about 30 seconds then calmed down and has been acting pretty normal ever since...mostly hiding in some driftwood in the back of the tank and poking his nose out when the oscar, pleco or frog swims by.

was this guy just trying to sell me a $10 fish or will he really be okay in there? if not, I've got a spare 30 gal I can set up for salt water and toss him in.

Setting up a marine tank is not so quick or easy. Secondly, what you have is a brackish to marine fish that will eventually reach 14" long and will eat whatever fits into his mouth. Unfortunately, chances are that the sudden change in salinity will cause him a fair bit of damage over the next 3-6 days, very possibly killing him.

Agreed. Please research before you buy fish, it will save the fish and you a lot of problems

chances are that the sudden change in salinity will cause him a fair bit of damage over the next 3-6 days

Absolutely. That was his "freakin out" Columbian sharks can tolerate fresh water when young but that is not the problem here. It takes a long time to acclimate a fish from fresh to brackish or the other way.

i bought him knowing how big he'd get, I have plans to assemble a 150gal tank in the next 6mo especially for a shark. however, the guy (a manager none the less) assured me that he would do fine in my freshwater tank...what a jerk.

i can still take the fish back if you're sure he wont live in my tank. as long as he makes it thru the night, they accept live returns and I can get my money back.

any suggestions on a nice freshwater bottom feeder? (i already have a 3" pleco, a 3" albino clawed frog and a 5.5" tiger oscar)

I would take him back, although I doubt they will acclimate the poor thing back either?

Suggestions, how big is your current tank?

if you're sure he wont live in my tank

It is quite likely because of the dramatic change in water conditions he will not, however nothing is for sure.

traded the columbian for a slightly smaller irridescent shark. even after i printed off the info i found on the net and showed it to him, the LFS guy still swears that the columbians will do just fine in a freshwater environment. "Don't believe everything you read on the net". I guess it's not their problem after 48 hours, but the info i found said that keeping them more than a few weeks in a freshwater tank can cause serious damage to their skin.

thanks for the advice, guys. i've got the freshwater shark I wanted now and i've learned my lesson about investigating before i make a purchase rather than just taking the word of the LFS guy. I'll probably be stocking my tank from a different pet store from now on also.

traded the columbian for a slightly smaller irridescent shark

Don, do you know how big these get? Are you planning on upgrading?

IMO, they need at LEAST 75 gal, but 100+ better. They also do better in a group of 2 or 3 oppose to 1.

I guess it's not their problem after 48 hours

It should be, and for longer than 2 days. I think it is time for a new LFS.

Like i said, i did my research this time.

I'm well aware of how large they get, and i plan to purchase a 150gal tank specifically for freshwater sharks within the next six months to a year. If I had more room in my current 55gal tank, I'd go ahead and get another irridescent so he'd have a long-time buddy when I do get the shark tank in order. However, for the time being he's going to have to deal with being the "lone-shark" (lame joke i know) in my 55gal. The "Petland" in Athens, OH deals a lot in sharks and they sell some freshwater species up to 10" long, so when I go to stock the new tank I'll be well taken care of.

Good. Have fun with him, they are an awesome catfish!

I think catfish are the coolest aquarium Freshwater fish IMO. I have had a good variety over time.

Every time I get a new species, I have a new favorite.

Back
Top Bottom