Columbian Shark Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one of these sharks set up in a new aquarium. All day he is constantly swimming, doing circles around the aquarium, always around the glass on the four walls of the aquarium - amazing and fun to watch - but is this normal for them?

I do have live plants and lots of hiding spots. The reason I ask is because in another tank of mine I have had a red tailed shark for about 2 years now and he's always hiding in a cave somewhere!

This columbian shark sure is playful - or having spasms!

Please advise!

Yes, very active and fun fish. And red tail sharks to usually stay in a cave and around it protecting there home.

They are very playful when they are young. They lose a bit of their crazy activity as they get older and larger.

I have had my columbian sharks for 8 years now...they are HUGE!!!...the biggest one is around 13-14" and very thick body. Hope you have a big aquarium. As far as the shark swimming in circles...I actually think it's a sign of stress. These sharks do good in a group of 3 or more sharks. Do you have any salt in the aquarium? They do much better in brackish water even as juveniles. When I first got these sharks, they were about 2", and before I knew any better I had them in fresh water. And I witnessed them swim in circles all day long just like you have. I then read up on them and decided to add aquarium salt.(instant ocean). They immediately stopped swimming in circles and started to actually swim around the entire aquarium. Your columbian shark will outgrow your 38gal in about 2 years or so.

On the other hand, my red tail shark in my other tank, NEVER hides in the caves...I've had him for about 3 years now and he is ALWAYS out and about just cruising around the tank. Only goes in the cave at night to rest.

Ya he's actually in a 75 gallon tank with 6 other fish (cant remember the name right now) but they're the tetras with the red on their head and black tails. Anyway they're doing fine - I could move them out and try adding aquarium salt.

Is there an easy way to do this? And if I do my plants won't survive then! :(

what kind of plants do you have. there are some types of plants that can survive in brackish water. i've kept java fern, val, a type of crypt (dont remember what kind), and banana plants, and they all are still living in a brackish tank.

Maybe your plants can handle 2 tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons. Also, when I said in a group of 3 or more, I meant in a group of columbian sharks :)

these sharks become skittish when they grow up...they get spooked by their own shadows lol...they definitely feel more comfortable in a group of their own kind.

Wont a group of 3 of more be territorial towards eachother?

The plants are a type of crpyt as well - very grass like and about a foot tall right now.

I had 5 of them at one time and they did really good in a group of 5. I now have 3 and for the most part they are still very peaceful towards each other. Once in a while, seems like when I do water changes, the biggest one(male) will chase the female for a few hours...other than that, they get along just fine. But 3 of these will outgrow a 75gal in a few years. They will probably reach their maximum size within 5yrs. So you have plenty of time to plan for a bigger tank :)

Do you happen to have a picture of your tank? I'm getting ready to set up a 125 but would like some input/pictures of Shark tank setups.

Back
Top Bottom