Columbian Spotted Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had wanted a Pleco for quite some time now and finally decided to get one last week. The lfs had him labled as Columbian Spotted Pleco and he only cost $5.99. I tried doing someone online searches to get more info about them, but have been unable to find anything at all!! Has anyone ever owned one of these? Are they known as something else? The main thing that I'm wondering is how to sex them. I'd like to know if I have a male or female. Of course any other info about this specific type of Pleco would be appreciated as well. :)

Thanks,
- Mandy

Here's a picture of my pleco... it looks like the 2nd link that was offered to me. Although, to trained eye you guys may be able to see something that I can't which would show if this is the same kind or not...

Attachments

• pleco_308.jpg
    pleco_308.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 283
First, let me say that your pleco is gorgeous. Really quite a stunner. Since I have the gibbiceps that Fluff linked, there is quite a difference with yours. Your's is lighter in color, the head a little more knotted and the spots are much larger than mine.

I noticed that my Pleco has a weird looking patch of skin on it's left side. It's kind of like there's a dustiness to it. I went back and looked at the some photos that I took of it the first week that I got it and it had the same patch back then. I'm not sure if this is something that's bad or something that I shouldn't be worried about. I am currently treating the aquarium for Ich (but apparently he's had this patch of skin since I brought him home). I haven't seen it rubbing up against anything or acting strange. I really don't think that it's bothering it at all. I circled the patch that I'm looking at to make it easier. Can I get some thoughts on this please?

- Mandy

Attachments

• pleco_171.jpg
    pleco_171.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom