comet goldfish ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
so the little guy i posted about in the sick fish section is still alive and swimming. Anyway i was going to keep him as i cant put him back in the pond to get bullied again but after much research i dont think i can if i need such a big tank for him alone. i also read they are social and are happier with others which would mean i need an even bigger tank. i really cant be getting a tank bigger than 100litres right now and dont want to keep upgrading. so would u recomend finding him a home ? im kinda sad about it tho cos i would have liked to keep him and give him a happy home and friend.

Andrew McFadden said:
Yes to re home if you can't put him back into a pond. There is a ton of re homing going on everyday so don't worry about it.

Thanks I just get the guilts easily. So I have so good news my mum said she will have 2 so the one in the bowl and another out of the pond for her classroom for the kiddies to help look after. Im rehousing all of them as I found out from someone on here thank goodness before it was too late! that 420litres is not enough room for them. I should have known better than to trust the people I got them from and some Internet sites :/. I have lots of experience with tropicals but strangely not goldfish. What size tank would you recommend litres for 2 comets?

_skyla_ said:
Thanks I just get the guilts easily. So I have so good news my mum said she will have 2 so the one in the bowl and another out of the pond for her classroom for the kiddies to help look after. Im rehousing all of them as I found out from someone on here thank goodness before it was too late! that 420litres is not enough room for them. I should have known better than to trust the people I got them from and some Internet sites :/. I have lots of experience with tropicals but strangely not goldfish. What size tank would you recommend litres for 2 comets?

Scrap that gosh things change quickly around here they will all be going in someone's pond my cousin just informed me she knows someone with a pond but she lives like 4hours away so am finding out if someone will be heading there soon and can take them. I figure if I can them a pond to live in that's heaps better than being in a tank.

_skyla_ said:

Yea not my area of expertise, I'd start a thread and see what everyone says. I would think with heavy filtration it would be ok but twas not my area.

Andrew McFadden said:
Yea not my area of expertise, I'd start a thread and see what everyone says. I would think with heavy filtration it would be ok but twas not my area.

That's ok thanks anyway. But they have found a pond home which means I dont need to set up a huge tank for the 2 of them anymore.

I was wondering what EXACTLY is the minimum tank size for one common/comet?

I say 60-70 gallons

Some say 50

Some say 100

Bobjoefredsky said:

I say 60-70 gallons

Some say 50

Some say 100

55 for one, 30 for every after

Bobjoefredsky said:

I say 60-70 gallons

Some say 50

Some say 100

Comets don't grow quite as large as commons but they both max out over foot, commons possibly up to 18in. So, can a foot+ long very active fish turn around comfortably in a 50g/12in width tank? I would have to say no. As a juvenile, 50g would be fine but not as a large adult. No different than any other large active tropical species but poor goldfish just don't get quite the same respect. :)

Back
Top Bottom