common plec - 2 in a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vic112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello
I recently bought 2 plecs (I believe them to be common plecs, about 2.5cm long). They are in the same tank (approx 40L) along with 2 danios and 2 rosy barbs. Yesterday I notice one chasing the other around the tank, and this morning one plec was on top of the other.
Should I separate them? I have read since that having 2 in the same tank is not a good idea but was not advised of this by the pet shop.
Thanks

Really? I have had a plec before, and in the couple of years I had it, it didn't grow at all. Maybe it's not a common plec after all.

There are loads of different pleco's. I have 3 bristlenose plecs in a 150ltr tank. They don't grow very big. At the mo they are about 2-3cm and not very old. Google plecs and see if you can find out what yours are. :).

pics of plec

I can only find these 2 pics - they are very similar to what mine look like.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-19 at 12.27.42.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-07-19 at 12.27.42.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen shot 2011-07-19 at 12.32.07.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-07-19 at 12.32.07.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 76
They are not common plecs, not 100 percent sure of the name but I dnt think they grow too big at all.

They look like longfin Bristlenose Plecs.
Beautiful fish :p
They only grow to around 13 cms max and they live for a good 12 years,

what are their sexes? if they are both male it may be a territory dispute, seeing as a 40L aquarium is quite small, if they are both female it wouldnt be anything serious and if 1 is male and the other female.... well ;) lol

But if I were you, I would try and get another aquarium if you have the space

I have had 5 Bristlenose plecs in the one tank with 12 tank mates for a bit over 3 years and there have been no problems, but then again they are all males.

How long have you kept fish?

Don't really have the space for another tank so am thinking maybe I should return one to the pet shop, although they asked me how big the tank was and they still allowed me to buy 2!

I've kept fish on and off for many years but am certainly no expert - have always stuck to cold water goldfish or fancy goldfish. Plecs, danios and rosy barbs are about as exciting as I've ever got!

Thought about upgrading to a larger tank?
Larger tanks are easier to maintain water quality and you can have more fish without a hitch.

What size are the Plecs? and how long have you had them?

The plecs are about 2.5cm long and only bought them on Sunday (have had a plec before but it was on its own).
Didn't know that about bigger tanks - will have a look into them - thanks for that tip!

Ok, well any chasing behaviour isn't really something to be too concerned about at that size as they are still juveniles.

I wouldn't give them back until they are a fair bit bigger, currently I have 2 fully grown (11.5 cm) Bristlenose plecs in a 30L aquarium and they like it fine and about a month ago I had 5 (ranging from 8cm to 11.5cm) with 12 other tankmates in an 80L aquarium, every fish healthy (keeping in mind I have an aeration system in both tanks).

No worries mate. :)

anything else I can help you with?

Back
Top Bottom