Common pleco question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are common plecos worth anything when they are biggish (6-8 inches) can you still sell them? Do people wanna buy them?? I have a couple common plecos and they need bigger home. Was wondering if I could sell them to get plecos for my size tanks. I could trade ^_^ but I don't know to much. If they might be worth something how much reasonable one?

People generally aren't willing to pay for larger common plecos.
Because they are so common lol and everyone wants to get rid of them eventually and get a small one again.

There are many many many more people with small tanks than generous people with big tanks.

If you have a full grown zebra pleco or something, well then, you're a made man! lol

My lfs will take in larger plecos for people who want to put them in cichlid tanks and stuff like that where a little one would just get beaten up. They sell the large ones for $11. But, they have the luxury of having large tanks. You may or may not be able to get any money for it, but it won't be a lot.

Whoops, I just realized that they only like 6-8 inches. That won't get you as much money IME. You can call around to stores in your area and see if anybody will give you store credit.

Thanks just want them to have a good home since about to out grow my fish tanks. Hope I can get store credit. You all know any plecos for 55G and/or 29G?? Not too expensive ether. They are 6-8 inches long .

Bristlenose plecos are my usual go-to pleco... They are usually four to five inches long, tops. Im not sure what you consider expensive.. Around where I live they are usually $3-$5 depending on where you go.

Talvari said:
Bristlenose plecos are my usual go-to pleco... They are usually four to five inches long, tops. Im not sure what you consider expensive.. Around where I live they are usually $3-$5 depending on where you go.

Thanks! I call expensive about 30$. Anyone know about royal plecos they look cool ^_^

How sad...

How sad for the Common Plecos. They are such regal creatures. Honestly, they are my absolute favorite fish. And they are such driftwood potatoes when they get big...

lol I love them too, seeing the 14" one at the store swimming around looks so awesome. When I get a 6' tank I'll get one lol I'll stick with the albino BN in the 90g though lol Looking for an albino bushynose to make the pair.

laurelhed said:
How sad for the Common Plecos. They are such regal creatures. Honestly, they are my absolute favorite fish. And they are such driftwood potatoes when they get big...

LFS don't warn you about their size!! So they get mistreated a lot.

LFS don't warn you about their size!! So they get mistreated a lot.

That sounds like Petsmart!
They never told me that leporinus fasciatus grows to a foot, and is a rabid plant eater. He was my first indoor fish, kind of want another one for the pond in the summer lol
My lfs on the other hand, tells you care info about the fish even if you don't ask, unless you're a regular or seem like you know about fishkeeping. First thing they do is ask tank size and how long the filters been running in the tank. If you don't meet the criteria, they will advise against the sale and void the return policy.
edit* and by void I mean no refund if it dies. They would take it back live for free!

I do that too, and I work at Petsmart. It all depends on who you talk too.

Unfortunately alot of the people they hire at work dont know jack about animals and they have to learn on the go if they bother to learn at all. Im lucky... In my department we have a manger who has a degree in Marine Biology, I have a tech degree in Animal science, and nearly all of us have at least one aquarium!

Back
Top Bottom