Common Pleco Vs Leopard Sailfin Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess1982

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone

I have a query about the growth rate of plecos. My mother has 2 common plecos in her 100litre (yes i know, I have told her) tropical tank. They were an inch when she bought them about 6 months ago and are now about 4 inches long each. I have a leopard sailfin pleco in my 450 litre coldwater tank. He was about 2 inches when I bouth him a year and a half ago, now he is maybe 4 inches at best. Why has my mothers plecos grown so much faster than mine?? My mum probably overfeeds the plecos a little but surely that doesn't account for the difference? My pleco gets vegetables twice a week and maybe an algae wafer if there doesn't look like much algae on the tank. Am I underfeeding mine? I'm really confused! :confused:

Thanks

Commons get very larg largger than sailfins if I'm not mistaking so that could be the reason

Yeah, I did a little research as well, and it seems that a common can typically grow up to 2'. A sailfin is much less.

I assume that is the reason.

In my opinion, this is a blessing. But this is coming from someone who will only have a Bushy/bristlenose pleco because I do not want one too big.

Thanks both. I was told my sailfin would grow really large which is why I forked out for a 450 litre tank! How very annoying! lol
Oh well, at least he has a nice big home :)

Back
Top Bottom