common question - cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lillizzierae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I've had the freshwater set up for many months and everything has been fine until our filter died and we didn't realize it till it was too late. The water got a little cloudy. We got a new filter and I've been cleaning the tank weekly. Two weeks in, the tank is still cloudy (white cloudy) and almost each level is off. It's not looking any better. I didn't test the water today to tell you guys what levels are off. I just did a water change.. about 25%.

Should I be changing the water daily or weekly? I'm not sure how to fix the problem. Any advice would be helpful.

The cloudiness is caused by heterotrophic bacteria in the water. They are rapidly dividing bacteria and feed off of ammonia which is why the cloudiness comes back soo quickly after a water change.

It's just going to take some time for your tank to go through the cycle. Keep doing 50% water changes every time your ammonia or nitrites are above 0.25ppm and you will be through it before too much longer.

Back
Top Bottom