Community predators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aussielouii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in australia, queensland
I already have a silver dollar an a feather fin catfish in one tank am curious to know what else i can add fish wise to the mix that will coexist

You'll have to give more info on the tank, what size is it, how long has it bee set up etc.

As Toad indicated, size matters. Providing your tank is large enough, your Silver Dollar will greatly appreciate the addition of several more Silver Dollars.
Silver Dollars are one of my favorites, and I have a school of ten. SD' s are the universal dither
fish, you can keep them with so many different varieties of fish, including large cichlids.

I'm already assuming you have a big enough tank size suitable for a featherfin catfish (1 ft is about full grown adult size), and that you have a pretty big tank for these fellas.

Compatible fish would be more silver dollars are they like being in groups, school of tiger barbs (10 +), angelfish, bala sharks (sometimes labeled silver sharks), sailfin plecos, and I think convict cichlids would also be feaseable.

If you decide angelfish I advice not keeping tiger barbs and/or convict cichlids with them.

We have a 5ft tanks.
Weve had our tank set up roughly for 2 years we have 1 feather fin 2 silver dollars an 1 asian upside swimming catfish weve also added a rainbow shark all seem to be doing great together.

A five foot tank, probably a 120 gal ?. A lot of space to fill. I would definitely add more SD' s and mix in a few Fancy ones like the spotted or striped. Also research some of the mid to larger sized New World cichlids.
Pictured is one of my male Maculatus Silver Dollars.

Attachments

• 20170525_200336.jpg
    20170525_200336.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 61
What are your thoughts on adding a eel tail catfish? (adult)
As our local store doesnt sell adult silver dollars. We have had problems with keeping silver sharks in that tank at the start so we are avoiding them.
But a few cichlid suggestions would be great

Not familiar with eel tail catfish but I do know they reach 3ft or so, you will need to provide more dimensions like the height and width. Here's some cichlids that might work

Serverums
Dwarf Cichlids
Acara's
Angel's
Firemouths
Rainbow cichlids (Not africans!)
Keyhole Cichlids
Eartheaters
Geophagus
Convicts

But keep in mind cichlids get nasty if they pair up. Some more aggressiver cichlids would be

Jack Dempseys
Parrots
Oscars
Flowerhorns
Texas Cichlid
Green Terror
Jaguar
Red Devil
Wolf
Black Nasty
And many more to list........

Silver dollars range is 75F°/82F°
Featherfin Catfish is 72F°/80F°
Upside down Catfish is 72F°/79F

According to some websites.

Your could do a another school or large fish like Congo tetras, rainbows and etc. I can think of more if I think harder! Maybe a Pleco? A sailfin, common or some larger Pleco would look nice! I'm not sure if featherfin catfish are carnivores but maybe a school of Albino Corys if the catfish doesn t eat them. There are many choices since your tank is large, Maybe give some ideas on what you like?

I don't have any experience with Eel Tail Catfish. As for Cichlids research, Firemouth Cichlid, Texas Cichlid, Salvini and RIvulatus Cichlids. With a 5 ft. Tank these fish would likely be fine.

Got these today

Attachments

• IMG_20171105_224500.jpg
    IMG_20171105_224500.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom