Community Tank Stocking Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loveroffish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I finished my fishless cycle about a month ago and have slowly been adding fish every so often. It is a peaceful community tank setup with the following details:

- 36 Gallon Bowfront
- Fluval 406 Canister Filter
- 4 Pieces Malaysian Driftwood
- 2 Anubias Nana
- 3 Amazon Swords
- Glo-Life 20W 6700K T8 Flourescent Bulb (12 on/12 off - auto)
- New Life Spectrum Therma A+ .5mm Pellets
- 0 NH3 / 0 NO2 / 20ish NO3 / 7.6 Ph / 78-80 F

My main question/concern is do you think this is too overstocked with the following stock list?

AquStockImage.php

As of now I have all but the Cardinals and Blue Ram, which the cardinal I will get when the LFS gets in stock and the German Blue Ram would be months from now after the tank is well established. I am religious with the weekly water changes or when the levels get too high. I've done quite a bit of research before even starting the cycle, so I feel like I know what it will take to keep the tank "thriving"... Does anyone think this is wayyy over crowded? The largest fish will be the BN Pleco and all others should remain around 2" max, aside from the GBR. All opinions are welcomed please!!

A couple pictures as well...

View attachment 277956

View attachment 277957

View attachment 277958

View attachment 277959

Plenty more to share per request, lemme know what you think!

I'm a bad judge of stocking but I am wondering why you chose to feed the NLS Thera A? Is it because of precaution as you add new fish?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks fine to me... Wait a while on the otocinclus, shrimp, and Ram though.

Shrimp and Otos do best in mature tanks that have been established a few months. In a mature tank a "biofilm" establishes as the tank ages and both species will graze on this. This biofilm is not present in newly set up tanks.

German blue ram- also hold off a few months and let the tank mature and stabilize. these can be very sensitive depending on the genetics. Even with perfect water a bad source could yield a dead fish. I would try to get one from a breeder if possible. If not, quarantine and monitor them and hold onto your receipt if the store has a good return policy. Also make sure you acclimate them for a good period of time.. 1-2 hours, more is preferred via drip acclimation. Due to the reasons above, a long acclimation helps ensure they are conditioned as gently as possible.

Caleb

Looks fine to me... Wait a while on the otocinclus, shrimp, and Ram though.

Shrimp and Otos do best in mature tanks that have been established a few months. In a mature tank a "biofilm" establishes as the tank ages and both species will graze on this. This biofilm is not present in newly set up tanks.

German blue ram- also hold off a few months and let the tank mature and stabilize. these can be very sensitive depending on the genetics. Even with perfect water a bad source could yield a dead fish. I would try to get one from a breeder if possible. If not, quarantine and monitor them and hold onto your receipt if the store has a good return policy. Also make sure you acclimate them for a good period of time.. 1-2 hours, more is preferred via drip acclimation. Due to the reasons above, a long acclimation helps ensure they are conditioned as gently as possible.

Caleb

Yep. GBR are usually fragile as heck.

I would like to bring up my stories of a pair of past GBR who were INCREDIBLY hardy that i had years ago, but it might give wrong ideas.

Stick to being careful with those probably expensive GBRs.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom