Companion Fish for BA Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaloric7

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are some fish I can put in with my eight Buenos Aires tetras? Maybe something with a bit of color...Easy to maintain as I'm a beginner. I tried a bristlenose pleco but the little guy went missing. 36 gallon tank.

:thanks:

Bolivian ram for a bottom dweller or praecox rainbow as another middle swimmer. Both are beautiful. You could also try gouramis. They are absolutely gorgeous but a bit sickly. Finally, runny nose tetras would make a beautiful school, but they are small.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

u could also go for german blues, cory catfish, gourami, a betta, or even a gourami. But first have your water tested before you do anything.

OK! Of all those listed, which are the hardiest and least likely to be bullied?

:thanks:

Bolivian rams are tough and hold their own. I only keep one, but have found it remarkably hardy. The rainbow fish are probably a little less tough in terms of attitude, but they are much prettier if you have a dark substrate and are far more active. Both are very hardy, healthy, and easy to keep. If you like rams (check out some pics and vids to see), Bolivians are great in terms of ease of care. They are much easier to keep than any other ram. They also have cool personalities. My wife loves ours, and she doesn't even care about fish. :)

Are you looking for a middle swimmer, more active (Praecox rainbow), or a bottom dweller, tough and full of personality (Bolivian ram)?

I should also say if you want a smaller schooler with beautiful coloring and very hardy/compatible with your BAs, the rummy nose would be a great choice. They don't look great against a beige or tan substrate, though. If you have dark substrate, they POP.

Have a light sand substrate. I'm leaning towards the Bolivian rams, they're very pretty. Should I get a pair? They won't be bullied by the tetras??

Also, do most pet shops carry them? I didn't find them on the Petco or Petsmart sites.

With light substrate, they are a great choice. A pair would be good. If you end up with a male/female pair, they may get pretty territorial when they mate, so other bottom dwellers wouldn't be advised until you see how that pans out. They will if ignore the tetras though. I keep mine with tetras and rainbows and rasboras with no problems. They just chase the smaller fish away from food on the bottom from time to time but are pretty slow and harmless. Great choice; I think you'll really enjoy them. My Pet smart carries them. They keep them with the cichlids (because rams are a type of cichlid). Have fun!

Oh, and I should say if kept singly they ignore tetras. Can't promise a mating pair would. If you get a same sex pair, though. That would be ideal. They can be a bit tough to sex if you don't have both male and female in front of you for comparison.

:( I went to Petsmart to get two Bolivian rams and the fish guy said the BA tetras would pick at their fins. I don't want that to happen.

Would 4-5 tiger barbs work?

Back
Top Bottom