Companions for Honey Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smudge1983

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.

So my tank is going through its cycle, ive had my first teething problem, plants died on me so im gonna get some more substrate and ive purchased some fertiliser. My local super pet shop is good at taking my money but offering no advice.

Any way i have a 60 litre tank (around 15-16 gallons i think) and im thinking i will one day want one or a pair of Honey Gourami. So im looking for good companions. I obviously cant have alot brcause of my tank, but im think maybe a little group of danio or tetra. And maybe one bottom dweller or a couple of Amano Shrimp.

What do you think?

This is a new tank so i'll need a hardy fish to start so thats why i mention the Danio?

I'm not a fan of getting a fish you don't necessarily want like a danio to cycle your tank. You can cycle a tank with almost any fish, although there are some I wouldn't try it with, if you keep a close eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels. Also, for a tank of that size I would only get one dwarf gourami because pet shops usually only carry males and the tank is not large enough for each male to establish its territory. A group of tetras or danios would be fine though.

Thanks for the reply.

I quite like danios especially the long finned and pearl variety. :D

I did think my tank was a bit small, but I'm pleased that tetra danio and gourami go together. Cheers.

I have a pair of honey gourami's with harlequins and neons in a 65ltr and all is good! They all get a long very well indeed.

Tetras.

Hello again.

I have a question for the tetra lovers.

Ok so im gonna be choosing between Danios or Tertas. I love the litte Lemon Tetra and Head and Tail light Tetras. From your experience should i keep the varity togther so 6 Lemon or 6 H&T or can i do 3 of each? Will they all play together or split up?

This goes with all Tetra really?

Also what are they like in new tanks?

I have 5 Ember Tetras in my tank. The first day they kind of hid in the plants. The next day they were all over but schooled together. Every so often they go two and three here and there but they stay together for the most part. How many will depend on the size of your tank and other(if any) fish you have or will get. Also, I am not too sure on the minimum numbers required for them. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in soon.

Smudge1983 said:
Hello again.

I have a question for the tetra lovers.

Ok so im gonna be choosing between Danios or Tertas. I love the litte Lemon Tetra and Head and Tail light Tetras. From your experience should i keep the varity togther so 6 Lemon or 6 H&T or can i do 3 of each? Will they all play together or split up?

This goes with all Tetra really?

Also what are they like in new tanks?

1)How big id your tank?

2)What other tank mates?

Hello, thanks for the replys.

Its a new setup, 60 litre (15-16gallon) i think and so far the only resident is a little gold spotted snail that hitched a ride with a bit of plant covered wood....his name is Sid.

Anyway im looking at getting 1 or 2 Honey Gourami and 6-7 tetras. Id prefer to get a little mixture of Tetras but if not i'll stick with a group of Lemon Tetras.

Smudge1983 said:
Hello, thanks for the replys.

Its a new setup, 60 litre (15-16gallon) i think and so far the only resident is a little gold spotted snail that hitched a ride with a bit of plant covered wood....his name is Sid.

Anyway im looking at getting 1 or 2 Honey Gourami and 6-7 tetras. Id prefer to get a little mixture of Tetras but if not i'll stick with a group of Lemon Tetras.

Gouramis tend to get aggressive and nay be aggressive toward your tetras I'm not sure with honey gouramis ....if u decided to go only tetras you could probably put 18-20 of them in there if they arent the ones that grow three inches but If you do more fish then tank-gallons you will want to make sure extra filtration... That's my two cents atleast
-Ten

Honey Gouramis may go after each other but the ones I've seen are peaceful to other fish. Id start with one.

I'd do a group of Lemon Tetras. The larger your group the better they show off. I'd rather have one large group than a mix of this and that.
Id start with 5 or 6. Add more later if you want. Depending on if you get other fish.

Consider Corydoras habrosus for the bottom :)
If your substrate allows. And you have the room. They only get an inch.

Your fish will appreciate live plants.
Try Java Ferns to start if you are new to plants.
Tie Ferns to wood, rocks or decor. You can Google for pics or vids.

Add a dark background, I use black. The fish will look awesome.

Feed some frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms and your fish will color up great.

Consider using a black substrate. Light colors on the bottom tend to make fish pale to match.

My tank

More pics in my sig

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Gouramis tend to get aggressive and nay be aggressive toward your tetras I'm not sure with honey gouramis ....if u decided to go only tetras you could probably put 18-20 of them in there if they arent the ones that grow three inches but If you do more fish then tank-gallons you will want to make sure extra filtration... That's my two cents atleast
-Ten

Do NOT overstock ! Esp a new tank. Honey Gouramis may fight each other.

Extra filtration is not a cure for overstocking.
Add fish gradually and keep an eye on you water tests. Do weekly PWCs or sooner if needed. Keep Ammonia zero.

Coursair said:
Do NOT overstock ! Esp a new tank. Honey Gouramis may fight each other.

Extra filtration is not a cure for overstocking.
Add fish gradually and keep an eye on you water tests. Do weekly PWCs or sooner if needed. Keep Ammonia zero.

Sorry your right with a new tank your deffinently right and I forgot to mention to add them slowly I'm doing something similar and I'm getting four at a time... And to an extent some people do add extra filtration and overstack a little with tetras or cichlids to control aggression

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Sorry your right with a new tank your deffinently right and I forgot to mention to add them slowly I'm doing something similar and I'm getting four at a time... And to an extent some people do add extra filtration and overstack a little with tetras or cichlids to control aggression

Sorry, overstocking is more for African Cichlids AFAIK.

Tetras are more sensitive to water conditions and most aren't aggressive.

People who mix 2 of this and 3 of that never see the fish show off like they should. I had 20 Neons and 20 Glowlights in a 50g in the past. Spectacular ! :)

Lovely stuff.

I won't overstock that's for sure.

This is my tank, hopefully Sunday (England time) I'll get a group of Lemons then and one day i will get a little Honey Gourami.

Thanks all for the info it's all taken onboard.

image-27473586.jpg

Hello, thought I'd update for those who are interested. I got 3 little Glowlight Danios today, the first occupants in my tank :) So far so good, they are settling in nicely. If all goes well in a couple of weeks I will double the group and get another 3. Then hopefully some Lemon Tetras at some point.

Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom