Compatability question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Quite a list! There are a number of them that I wouldn't put in a tank with my AngelFish (if I had any). I don't know how they compiled that list...perhaps on the basis of water parameters...but I sure wouldn't put Oscars, Severums, or Puffers in with AngelFish. Oscars and Severums are SA Cichlids like the AngelFish to be sure, but they're a lot more aggressive. I would imagine that the puffers would reduce the AngelFish to a finless blob in no time at all!

I was also suprised at all the fish that are listed here.
My angels are "very" mellow fish. Having an agressive cichlid would worry me.

I just bought a beautiful large veiled angel today(see my gallery)
I may have to get a mate for him. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gorgeous AngelFish! I sure as heck wouldn't dream of putting any sort of puffer in with THOSE fins! Get him a partner....he looks like he deserves it and you might get some little ones out of the deal!

i had two marble angels that mated twice i also had 2 mixed africans and a barb in the tank with them the angelfish killed the mate along with the africans, the barb,and even almost killed off the pleco in the tank (if i didnt move the pleco it would be dead) also i had to put my angelfish alone in the tank (it killed everything i put in the tank) i finally gave away the angelfish

Question: are angelfish generally aggressive or are they laid back? What would be good fish to put with an angelfish?

My Angel fish are pretty mellow fish.
They will follow me around the tank and come to the top when I feed them.

I also have 4 Blue Gourami's, 1 Gold Gourami, 2 pink kissing Gourami's, 2 catfish(1 is a pictus) and 2 pleco's in this tank.
I'd say my Blue Gourami's and the 2 kissing are the most agressive of them all.

AngelFish are generally pretty peaceful until it is time for them to breed. Then they have a tendency to get aggressive and territorial.

in my experience some times adult angels even when not paired or breeding can get quite aggressive and nip and bully smaller tankmates. ive had fullgrown angels terrorize many of my peaceful fish. they usually dont bother small fast moving fish though, but i have had them harrass and nearly kill slightly smaller rams, dwarf gouramis and other small slow moving peaceful fish. being cichlids, they do hold down territories and gaurd them during spawning.
many of those fish on that list are not compatible. N. Salvini are extremely aggressive and have been even known to bully red devils and other very mean large cichlids. it would tear an angelfish to shreads in less than a minute. oscars would eat an angel fish, and severums and firemouthes are to big and more aggressive and would constantly bully the angels. electric blues and electric yellows are riftlake cichlids and require different water conditions than angels. feather fins and other synodontis species are quite aggressive and do better with riftlake cichlids and the more aggro new world cichlids and are much too aggressive for angels. african butterflies i find to do better with bottem dweller such as the larger corydoras species and smaller loaches, due to their extremely long dorsal fins and tendencies to stay still they are usually constantly nipped at by mid water fish like angels.
the kribensis, and festivum would make excellent tankmates for angels. they have the same temperament and water requirments.

the kribensis they are very aggressive i had one and i let it go in a creek near my house someone had dropped off an oscar there too seen it when i was swimming so i took the kribensis to the crrek and let it go the angel i had almost killed a pleco 2 times its size the angel was actually going up an ramming the pleco i was surprised

Yike!! Please do us all a favor and don't release any more of your topicals into your local water, especially not in Florida! There are a whole lot of fish that aquarists can no longer get because people let fish loose in local streams, ponds, etc. and, especially in Florida, they establish themselves quite nicely. I remember when, if I wanted to, I could keep pirhanas, wolf fish, snakeheads and other nasties. Now I couldn't get one if I wanted it and I would be arrested if I was found with it.

BAD idea!

when i did that it was in 1992 i finally got the fish store to trade me after about a year plus it was let them go in the creek or the toilet so i let them go nowadays i just take the ones i that get very agressive back and trade them for smaller fish

plus if i could of caught that oscar i would have taken it and put it in my 75gal L-shaped tank years ago

LOL!! I can relate to that! Interesting stories around here about released fish...somebody caught a Pacu in one of our local lakes a few years ago. Press got all bent out of shape because some 'expert' identified it as a pirhana. Then there was the 4-foot blacktip shark (yes...shark...the marine kind) that was caught by an angler in one of the power plant lakes right outside of Dallas. How that thing survived in fresh water long enough to be caught by a fisherman is beyond me...but survive it did...and it obviously still had an appetite! Down near Austin, TX there are a couple of spring-fed pools that are full of Plecostomus...they have established a breeding population and are doing quite nicely, thank you.

I'm glad to hear that your kribensis release was in the dim and distant past. As for the Oscar....they live a long time....have you ever considered going fishing?? LOL!

yeah but its been bout 11 years since it was in the creek i used to catch ghost shrimp there along with real catfish,and brim the brim usuallly went back since i found out it was a very aggressive fish plus to actually go fishing there you have to have a permit to even get on the reservation and then you have to buy a permit to fish too plus the fish there never went after the baited hook when my uncle and i would go there fishing no matter what time of day

Back
Top Bottom