Compatability Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my co-workers has a 3 gal tank on his desk. He put a pleco and a black moore (black bubble eyed goldfish) in the tank. Within 2-3 weeks the pleco had sucked the goldfish to death! Sucked all the black color off it and killed it. I was not aware of any conflict between plecos and goldfish...anyone have an explaination?

BTW...yes he was feeding the fish, I don't think it was a hunger issue.

I've read that the plecos will do that if they dont get enough food. Plecos require a high content diet, they eat a lot to get the little protien diet. Depending on the breed of pleco, depends on its true diet. Some are more carnivorous than others, but with a proper diet, they wont attack its tank mates...

First thing that comes to mind...a 3gal tank is far too small for ANY pleco, let alone with a goldy.

What was he feeding, was he feeding flakes for the goldy and some sort of sinking wafer or pellet for the pleco? If he was feeding a sinking pellet or wafer what was the main ingredient?

black hills tj said:
First thing that comes to mind...a 3gal tank is far too small for ANY pleco, let alone with a goldy.

This is also true, depending on the species, I would say 20 gallon minimum. There are some who might do ok in a 10 gallon, but deffinately not a 3 gallon. I dont know that that is a contributor to the gold fishes demise, but a good possibility...

black hills tj said:
Even if it was a dwarf pleco of some sort(Bushynose, Albino bushy Nose, and I think clown's are dwarves as well) needs 10g for the first one and more for multiple.

The l340 mega clow max's out at ~4 inches...but still, minimum of 10 gallons IMHO

It probably wiped out the slimecoat of the goldfish.

While a lot have said that the tank is too small for the pleco, it's also way too small for a goldfish.

The tank was way too small for either fish. Not to mention goldfish and plecos should not be kept together in any tank. Plecos are tropical, goldfish are coldwater fish. The pleco would naturally suck the slime coat of the goldfish. In a proper sized tank, plecos should be fed a variety of algae wafers and veggies.

In wondering...did this guy watch for 3 weeks as the poor goldfish got his slime sucked off (and do nothing)? Or, did the goldfish perhaps die and the pleco went to lunch afterwards?

He said he never saw the pleco actualy do it. I came to the conclusion that the pleco did it after I saw what the fish looked like. He didnt know any better. I think he's gonna put a betta in it now.

Please remove the pleco before you add the betta. I had otos in w/ bettas and they had to be moved to a new tank because they would "snack" on the betta's slime coat. Not all algae eaters do it, but in a 3gal there's nowhere for the betta to get away.

If a betta cannot defend itself from an oto (which I've never heard that they eat slime layer), then that's one pathetic betta.

Back
Top Bottom