Compatability Suggestions for 120G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Guys,

I'm about to move all my fish to a 120G tank and I'm looking for suggestions on new tank mates.

At the moment I have:

5x Neons
3x Mollies
1x Spotted Silver Dollar
2x Khuli Loaches
1x Betta
2x Sword Tails
1x Rainbow Shark (I know he'll get aggressive later, probably not keeping)
5x Bristlenose

I'm going to flesh out the schools of Neons (+5), Mollies (+3) and Silver dollars (+4) and maybe get another Khuli Loach.

After that I want to keep it to fish that will a maximum of about 6"
I'll go above this for something really special but I like the sight of lots of fish just doing their thing.

Can anyone suggest some fish that are available in Australia that will grow to about 6"?
I'm looking for really bright and coloutful fish, or interesting shapes (always loved the Ghost Knife, but too aggressive and big)

Thanks in advance,
Esra.

you could bump up the school of neons...and get a school of harliquin rasboras, and a school(s) of rainbow fish! and a BIG school of corries would be neat to! and maybe a school of hatchet fish or something....

I like the look of the hatchet fish. Very cool shape.

Is there any chance i could get a dwarf puffer fish or anything in there?
I know they're aggressive but wirth a tank that size would it still be a problem.
If so I'll give them a miss.

Any more suggestions?
The brighter the better.

I have no idea if they are available in Australia, but my suggestion is a Geophagus. There are many types that stay at or around 6 inches. They are peaceful and the smaller types aren't supposed to eat small fish. I plan on putting a Red Headed Tapajos in my future 38g. I'm sorry I don't know if they are available to you though. :(
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=465

Another suggestion is a gourami. There are a few types that get about 5 inches...Blue/3-spot, Gold, Pearl, and Moonlight gouramis all get around 5 inches (maybe a little smaller). I consider my Blue gourami to be very pretty. :)

i don't think we get puffers here - have you ever seen them? i would to get some, but didn't think they were available.

your other option would be rainbows. some are quite colourful, and vary quite a bit in size, so you could find whatever you were after.

Yeah there are 2 Rainbows I'm pretty sure i'll end up gettin a couple of. Boseman's and Parkinson's.

With the puffers i'd be suprised if you can't get them here.
Seems we have all this wildlife but can't get any of it.

I'll have a look around, i love the look of them but they may be too aggressive for my tank.

Not that it will stay under 6inches, but you mentioned the BGK as aggressive? I don't know that I've seen one that was aggressive, unless it was toward another knife. Mine even gets along with my red-tailed shark... and I would think they would see each other as similar looking. It would certainly keep the molly & swordtail population from getting out of hand (assuming you want that).

Yeah i have enought friends that i can hand off the offspring pretty easily and my LFS will even buy them back off me.

With theBGK i've just read in places that they can get aggressive when hungry.
And then once they've taken a fish they will always see them as food.

Could not be a problem. I've always wanted one but they grow to over a foot and I'm worried i wouldn't have the room.

Or rarther i would prefer 3x 6" fish than one 12" fish.

Look up Bolivian Rams. They do well with your community, and are not aggressive. And add character to the tank.

They look fantastic.
Nice size too.

I'm going to get the schools of fish going this weekend with the additions i mentioned and then start looking around for a few of the fish you guys have mentioned.

Figure i'll leave the tank with the new additions for a week to make sure everything is ok.

Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom