compatibility hep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
i posted this in the wrong section i think so i reposted here

hello i have a 75 gal tank that it was a cichlid tank and i had a rainbow shark and a pictus catfish but i got tired of the cichlids and i decided to take them to the lfs and trade them in but now i only have the rainbow shark a plecos and the pictus catfish now my question is compatbility i was planning on turning my tank into a community tank and this is what i was thinking about:

10 neon tetras
my betta that has been on a 2 gal tank pretty much all of his life
4 mollies or platies or sword tails
4 guppies
2 or 3 gouramis blue or gold or dwarf and if i add the dwarf how many can i put in the same tank
3-5 tiger barbs idk yet about this guys

also i was planning on adding some plant si have some that i cut from a pawn where i keep my turtles and they have been there for a while now and they seem good sofar and what other plants should i add

IMO all those fish could fit in that tank. However I'm worried about a few things:
1. Betta+gourami=dead fish usually. Because they're both top-dwelling and territorial they can easily attack and fight each other. IME I have kept a female betta imbellis with four gouramis and they get along fine, but that's JMO.
2. Tiger barbs+previous mentioned fish=nipped fins if not in a big enough school. Tiger barbs are notoriously nippy and if not in a big enough school they'll focus on those feelers on the gouramis and the long flowing fins of the betta. They could possibly be nipped to death.
3. Bettas+guppies=bad fights. Because they look so similar to each other the betta could easily mistake the male guppies as rival bettas and attack them.

Other than that, it looks great. Good luck! :)

I had tiger barbs with a DG and the gourami was the one picking on the barbs lol. But it's generally not a good idea.

ok cool thanks thats what i was thinking so i decided to keep my betta by himself now what other fish could i get im kind of sketchy about the barbs but if i do get the barbs how many should i get 5-10??? or will little as in small size angels do good with the rest of fish???

thanks guys for your input, also as a substrate i have sand and im going to do a serious change in the thank i mean im going to re arrange the rocks i was thinking putting some rocks on the left and some on the right to leave the middle open and put some planys on the middle

abrahamavelar said:
ok cool thanks thats what i was thinking so i decided to keep my betta by himself now what other fish could i get im kind of sketchy about the barbs but if i do get the barbs how many should i get 5-10??? or will little as in small size angels do good with the rest of fish???

Get as many tiger barbs as you can, around 10-12. Two angels could work but they have long flowing fins too so watch out.

well lights i got 2 t5ho's that i used when i had a reef tank and the regular fluorescent and plants well im pretty opened for anything and im kind of debating on the barbs or angels and another question that i have those fish will do good with the rainbow shark and pictus cat fish???? like my fave fish sofar that i had its the shark but im tired of agressive so i dont want an aggressive tank anymore

abrahamavelar said:
well lights i got 2 t5ho's that i used when i had a reef tank and the regular fluorescent and plants well im pretty opened for anything and im kind of debating on the barbs or angels and another question that i have those fish will do good with the rainbow shark and pictus cat fish???? like my fave fish sofar that i had its the shark but im tired of agressive so i dont want an aggressive tank anymore

I'm not sure. I would think so because rainbow sharks don't attack fish unless they look like them and it's a big enough tank, so I can't say for sure.

oh ok i know he dont attack the pictus catfish at all n he really didnt mess with the cichlids he just did it once in awhile to stablish dominance, and about the plants i wan some that will grow medium to fast and look decent

abrahamavelar said:
oh ok i know he dont attack the pictus catfish at all n he really didnt mess with the cichlids he just did it once in awhile to stablish dominance, and about the plants i wan some that will grow medium to fast and look decent

Your lighting is good enough for plants IMO, I use a dual T5 HO fixture too. Along with some liquid frets and plant-specific substrate, the plants can really grow.

hey guys i redid the landscape today and ill be posting pics as soon as the sand settles down and the water gets clear now i have a question can i add all the fish that im planning on adding all at once or little by little???? but something 4 sure is ill be adding the neons tomorrow

I would not add them all at once. Get a few now, a few next week and so on until your stocked.

By a few I mean 3 to 4

I would not add them all at once. Get a few now, a few next week and so on until your stocked.

By a few I mean 3 to 4

thanks for your response and by 3 or 4 neons???? even tho its a 75 gallon thank???? by the way this is my new tank im not done yet im going to put some plants in the middle and maybe some drift wood

You may have already added your fish, but if not I'd suggest adding the more aggressive fish last. The tetras, guppies and other peaceful fish go in first, then the DGs and barbs later. That gives the little guys time to become comfortable and will put the more aggressive fish at a disadvantage.

On a side note, something I've had luck with when adding fish is to raise the temp and add stress coat. I think the temp has kept ick at bay in my tanks. Even though I QT new fish for a month, I've seen ick attack once I add the fish into the community, probably from stress. I've heard that ick doesn't like temps over 83 or so (I've done 84 for a couple of weeks after adding new fish and have not seen ick since I started doing that). Just something I've found that works for me. Sorry about getting a bit off topic for a minute there.

I'd love to see pics when they're all in!

Back
Top Bottom