Compatibility, Rainbowfish Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdruken

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI!
So for Christmas I got a 60 gallon I've been planning for for a long time, I used nutrafin cycle and also seeded with filter media and gravel from my other tank. No cycling problems, everything is going well according to my test strips and amonia meter. Over a few weeks I've bought 2 honey gouramis, 12 emerald eye tetras, 1 true siamese algae eater, and a spotted Raphael catfish. everything was going fine after leaving them all in for 4 days (all were added different days) I went out yesterday and got my final fish, 2 boesmani rainbowfish and 1 turquoise rainbowfish from the same tank in the pet store. They were locally bred, and I know prefer to be in groups of 6 or more but since they are so expensive I thought I'd start with 3 and add more later. I am worried that my boesmanis are nipping the turquoise rainbows tail, theyr seems to be minor damage and every other fish has left it alone except the other rainbows which chace each other every now and then, but i read online they do this and it's not anything to worry about. This morning one of my tetras was dead in the filter, I dont know if he was killed or if he got stuch or what but he doesnt look eaten or anything.

Guess my question is what can I do to make sure the turquoise is fine, do I wait for evidence of more damage or what? The store I bought the rainbows from is a local breeding store and when I asked if they had a policy on fish dying or anything like major chains due the man seemed taken aback and said they are healthy so no thay won't die. I don't think I can return them and I do really like them, especially the turquise. Any advice will help, thanks.

There are going to be others who will chime in much more eloquently than I will but there may be a few issues to deal with.

test strips aren't accurate, suction cup meter even worse
what are your actual water parameters
cycling complete?
too many fish added together without adequate bb to handle

Fixes:
Get liquid test kit
a lot of water changing once you find out what your water numbers are.

What temperature are you keeping the tank at? I am fairly new to fish keeping, but my understanding is that turquoise rainbowfish need cooler water than Boesmanis so they are not great tank mates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ditto on the liquid test kit. Much more accurate. Chances are good that your tank isn't done cycling.

Back
Top Bottom