Compatibility with pygmy catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll try to get a decent pic of our tank soon to post for you guys to see, most pictures I take come out kinda crappy though :( We have a cute little triple log with fake moss on it, the catfish like hanging out in there lately since Miss Betta was moved.

I can't argue that most shoaling fish, never mind schooling fish, should be kept in the largest possible groups.

But that being said, most folks don't have tanks big enough to keep hundreds of fish, even if they are very small. One reason I love my Strawberry boraras, fifteen of them hardly take up a corner of a 10 G tank !

I'd like to have three dozen of the purple harlequins myself, but I don't have tank space for that many, even when the tanks are here.
[ because my landlord doesn't want to do repairs.. dragging his butt and making my life miserable as a result]. So I have only the small tanks on every available surface in my bedroom with the species that are less forgiving of errors and my friend takes care of the rest of them.

In a 10G, you don't have a ton of space for anything really. But once we start keeping fish in glass boxes, we fundamentally change everything about their environment anyway. Sites like Seriouslyfish, which I like very much, often tell you that species such as, for an example, kuhli loaches, should not be kept in groups of less than six. In the wild, they're likely congregating in the hundreds too, but that's not possible in most home tanks.

So I think the best that can be hoped for, is to do the best you can and have as many as you have space for, with a substrate that will at least not harm them and furnishings that are something like what they had in nature if possible.

If fish come from heavily planted areas, like Bettas do.. keep them with plants. I have so many plants in with my Bettas, I don't even need a filter on their tanks, the plants, and whatever BB live on the surfaces, do all the work. Testing has proved it over and again, the results are 0, 0 and <10, always. Don't even have to change water often at all, certainly not every few days. But I have to keep suitable lighting over them to grow those plants.

And hopefully you do research, as the OP here has done, to find out what possible species really won't fare well in the conditions you can offer and then don't get those at least.

It can be hard sometimes, to offer advice, when someone asks, can I have this ?, and you know the answer should be no. But saying no over and over isn't any easier than hearing or reading it over and over is.

With caves or decor with holes, just make sure fish can't get stuck. Many customers have lost Red Tailed Sharks because the only hiding spot offered was too small.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Fishfur

Thanks again for all your help!

These catfish are so lazy lol! We barely see them sometimes it seems. We love them but. I wish they would swim around a little more lol!

We may get two platys to complete our tank (mostly for a little color and to see some swimming action, but I am worried about them pigging on the food for the catfish)... what do you think about that? That would make 8 pygmy catfish, 2 platys, and 2 Amano shrimp (although we may get another one or two of those guys. We were watching them last night SO FUN TO WATCH! I couldn't get enough!)

With caves or decor with holes, just make sure fish can't get stuck. Many customers have lost Red Tailed Sharks because the only hiding spot offered was too small.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's so sad when a fish gets stuck :( We are very careful!

My dad kept fish years ago, and he had a banjo catfish that he loved and he got stuck :( He didn't know until he was cleaning the tank and... :(

I personally would go guppies, they would give the cories a better chance for food if you get males.

Fishobsessed7

I personally would go guppies, they would give the cories a better chance for food if you get males.

Fishobsessed7

Ok thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind! I am concerned about the catfish getting to eat enough, so probably no platys, then. I love how many colors they come in, they are a pretty fish! Do the guppies swim around much and such? :)

Just be sure you feed the cories food that sinks to the bottom. They'll go for that, and while guppies will take food from the bottom, they also feed from the surface. So give them a bit of flake and give the cories a sinking pellet or tab.

Glad to know guppies are active :)

We feed them omega one micro veggie pellets (it's not strictly vegetarian food though, don't worry!) I release the pinch of food under the surface of the water so it'll sink better! :). I want to get frozen baby brine shrimp for them. I want to find a different pellet or something food to try with them soon too.

If you can get micro worms, which are very, very easy to culture, the cories will adore them. So will the guppies. They survive for a week in a tank, on the bottom, so they don't die off and foul water if not eaten right away. Make an excellent treat a few times a week and are ideal fry food for fry big enough to take them too.

@Fishfur

Hmmmmm I will see if our lfs has anything like that! They do have frozen food, which we want to get for our fishes and shrimp soon.

I am a little leery of live food... I've heard that parasites are much more likely in live food. :/

Some live foods can harbour parasites, no argument there. But micro worms aren't usually known for it, and if you culture them at home, you know they're clean.

The live foods most known for possibly having parasites are tubifex worms.. which live in sewage, so it's hardly surprising. Sometimes blackworms may have them, but if they are farmed, usually not, though you may get some small leeches with them. I don't worry about them, they're good fish food too.

It's always your choice of course, but micro worms are typically raised on oatmeal and fed baker's yeast, and the chance of fish parasites infecting them are next to nil.

I am not sure where I'd get any micro worms to start, I could ask our lfs.

:) thanks for the info! I have read that live bloodworms maybe could risk parasites... Frozen seem safer.

Frozen bloodworms usually are reasonably safe, safer than live ones may be. Frozen is always the best thing if you can't manage to provide live. But still, wash hands after handling/feeding frozen foods, you can't ever be 100% sure they don't have some bacteria on them.

You can often get micro worm cultures from seller's here, as well as on Ebay or Kijiji.

I personally have bought live cultures from Kijiji from people who are local here, and if, when I go to get them, I don't like the way they look, I can always say no thanks. So far they've been very healthy and no problems.

Frozen bloodworms usually are reasonably safe, safer than live ones may be. Frozen is always the best thing if you can't manage to provide live. But still, wash hands after handling/feeding frozen foods, you can't ever be 100% sure they don't have some bacteria on them.

You can often get micro worm cultures from seller's here, as well as on Ebay or Kijiji.

I personally have bought live cultures from Kijiji from people who are local here, and if, when I go to get them, I don't like the way they look, I can always say no thanks. So far they've been very healthy and no problems.

We just got the last 3 Pygmy catfish, and two bonus guppy fry lol.

And some frozen baby brine shrimp :)

Tank complete! They're floating now and then we'll acclimate them :)

Back
Top Bottom