Compatible community fish with greedy clown loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I've killed cardinals, but angles seem to do well with in my tanks, maybe I'm just cursed or something. I also know that I've managed to keep glow lights alive, and have cardinals die in the same tank within less than a week of being introduced.

Good thing you didn't get cichlids. They will get fairly large depending on species and the will kill any fish in there way. Livebearers are cool fish but they don't always school but they are easy to breed. Harliquin rasboras is another choice. They are tight schoolers and look unique and cool in a group of more than 4-5.

This is not true about cichlids. There is thousands of different cichlids. A lot of south american and Central American cichlids are peaceful and would be great additions to a clown loach tank.

Blood parrots would work. Clown loaches can be kept with a lot of different fish, really anything depending on the clowns. It seems you have a feisty group, so cichlids might be the best options. 5-8 angels, or 3-5 severums(8" max), or 5-8 festivums(4" max), or 3-6 uaru(8" max),would all work. They are all semi peaceful cichlids that can be kept in groups. If you are looking for a schooling fish that is smaller the Denison barbs are very cool, and you could get about 15 of them if you want. You could also do Gouramis, any mix of about 10-12 of them would work.

Blood parrots would work. Clown loaches can be kept with a lot of different fish, really anything depending on the clowns. It seems you have a feisty group, so cichlids might be the best options. 5-8 angels, or 3-5 severums(8" max), or 5-8 festivums(4" max), or 3-6 uaru(8" max),would all work. They are all semi peaceful cichlids that can be kept in groups. If you are looking for a schooling fish that is smaller the Denison barbs are very cool, and you could get about 15 of them if you want. You could also do Gouramis, any mix of about 10-12 of them would work.

Blood parrots would work. Forgot about the semi peaceful and peaceful ones. Was thinking only Africans when I wrote that last post.

In a 100 gallon tank what about a nice school of Bosemani rainbows. They are peaceful mid level fish. wont pay any attention to your clowns and clowns wont mess with them.

Nice bosemani rainbows. Usually don't see that many good specimens. :)

They aren't mine I just pulled them from Google image.

However I have seen them before with just as nice of color in other peoples personal aquariums. They were all adults so I don't know if they color up better when they settle in to home aquariums or when they reach adulthood.

They aren't mine I just pulled them from Google image.

However I have seen them before with just as nice of color in other peoples personal aquariums. They were all adults so I don't know if they color up better when they settle in to home aquariums or when they reach adulthood.

Oh. Lol. They usually color up when they get used to their tank.

Thanks for narrowing down my options everyone!

I'm leaning towards angels:
When I was doing research on them, I saw that they are highly social towards their owners! I so,so,so,SO love that trait with fish! I did find out that they should only be kept in pairs to keep peace, is this true? If not, how many should I keep without worrying about them causing a ruckus?

Blood Parrots:
OoooOoOh, I have sort of a soft spot for these cute fish! They get a point for nostalgia because they kind of sparked my enthusiasm with this hobby years ago. The one I grew up with had a great personality, following whoever passes by the aquarium and begging for food. I'm sure all of them are not like that, so it makes me wonder if we just got lucky with a adorable blood parrot? If anyone can tell me from their experience how their blood parrots react towards them- I'd totally appreciate it

I still haven't made up my mind with a schooling fish yet. I might just clean up my 30 gallon and fulfill my love for corydoras in there. Unless someone can recommend me a great schooling fish that can live peacefully with angels, clown loaches or blood parrots.
Oooh! Maybe I can have blood parrots and angelfish? Would that be bad? If I could have both of them, how much of both can live in my 100 gallon? 1 blood parrot and 3 angelfish? 2 blood parrots and 2 angelfish?

EDIT: I'm starting to realize that all the fish I'm thinking about are all territorial (I'm not sure about the angels). My clown loaches always hide in the same spot which is a luxurious driftwood cave. I just kNOW that a blood parrot would try and take this spot but I honestly don't know their social behaviors. How territorial are they and will they give up a hide if its already taken?

Thanks for narrowing down my options everyone!

I'm leaning towards angels:
When I was doing research on them, I saw that they are highly social towards their owners! I so,so,so,SO love that trait with fish! I did find out that they should only be kept in pairs to keep peace, is this true? If not, how many should I keep without worrying about them causing a ruckus?

Blood Parrots:
OoooOoOh, I have sort of a soft spot for these cute fish! They get a point for nostalgia because they kind of sparked my enthusiasm with this hobby years ago. The one I grew up with had a great personality, following whoever passes by the aquarium and begging for food. I'm sure all of them are not like that, so it makes me wonder if we just got lucky with a adorable blood parrot? If anyone can tell me from their experience how their blood parrots react towards them- I'd totally appreciate it

I still haven't made up my mind with a schooling fish yet. I might just clean up my 30 gallon and fulfill my love for corydoras in there. Unless someone can recommend me a great schooling fish that can live peacefully with angels, clown loaches or blood parrots.
Oooh! Maybe I can have blood parrots and angelfish? Would that be bad? If I could have both of them, how much of both can live in my 100 gallon? 1 blood parrot and 3 angelfish? 2 blood parrots and 2 angelfish?

EDIT: I'm starting to realize that all the fish I'm thinking about are all territorial (I'm not sure about the angels). My clown loaches always hide in the same spot which is a luxurious driftwood cave. I just kNOW that a blood parrot would try and take this spot but I honestly don't know their social behaviors. How territorial are they and will they give up a hide if its already taken?

Angels can get pretty big. In a 100 gal. Maybe 3 parrots and 2 angels. If the loaches have claimed that area, the other fish may try to get it but the owner of the territory usually makes the other fish back off. How many clowns do you have?

Angels can get pretty big. In a 100 gal. Maybe 3 parrots and 2 angels. If the loaches have claimed that area, the other fish may try to get it but the owner of the territory usually makes the other fish back off. How many clowns do you have?

I have 4 clown loaches. In total I can only have 5 of these kinds of fish? What if I only want one type of species?

Oh no- Like what if I just want to pick angelfish only or blood parrots only WITH the clown loaches.

Oh. Lol. XD
Then you could have around 6-7 parrots or 5-6 angels in a specie only tank. But having 2 species of fish ( angels/parrots and clowns) in a 100 gal is kinda a waste of space IMO. I would create a tank that has at least 3-4 different species. Some petcos and petsmarts will do special orders and will order fish from online for you. I never did that before but I am going to try it at my lfs and see if they will order an African butterfly fish. I have been wanting one for ages.

I DO have 2 species of algae eaters! Like a couple of otocinclus and bristlenose pleco. They hardly take up space so I didn't mention them. Now that I think about it, otocinclus are super small. I heard people has had success with combining angelfish with otocinclus but I don't know about blood parrots. I heard that otocinclus are lethal to fish that eat them due to their spines.

Yikes, this feels like I have to go back to the drawing board, huh?

Last edited:
I DO have 2 species of algae eaters! Like a couple of otocinclus and bristlenose pleco. They hardly take up space so I didn't mention them. Now that I think about it, otocinclus are super small. I heard people has had success with combining angelfish with otocinclus but I don't know about blood parrots. I heard that otocinclus are lethal to fish that eat them due to their spines.

Yikes, this feels like I have to go back to the drawing board, huh?

I have kept otos but I never heard about their spines being deadly. But I think otos are too small for parrots to really notice and try to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom