Compatible fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cody94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi im new to keeping tropical fish, and to this forum, i have an 18ltr tank with 2 dwarf Guaramis and 3 red plattys. Can anyone recommend other vibrant coloured fish to keep in my happy community?

Hello, what size is your tank? That will help us best recommend what can fit in your tank.

Also, male dwarf gourami are known to fight. This does not always happen, but if you see excessive chasing in the future it may be time to remove one.

Hello, what size is your tank? That will help us best recommend what can fit in your tank.

Also, male dwarf gourami are known to fight. This does not always happen, but if you see excessive chasing in the future it may be time to remove one.

They said it was an 18 liter, which is a five gallon, which is not big enough for any of the fish they have.

Op, you need to rehome your fish immediately.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
What are your current parameters?

The only fish that can be in there are nano fish or a betta. Do not add these things until things are fixed.

Good luck.

Oops I missed that. Agreed. 5 gallons is very small in the aquarium world. More so when referring to a community tank.

if its 18g then you could have tetras of some sort (whatever kind you like best), mollies, guppies, or a female betta. with the bettas though you have to watch them and be careful sometimes it works in community tanks and sometimes it doesn't.

they are towards others of their species, but should be fine if their fins don't get nipped by other fish. females also tend to be less aggressive. dwarf gouramis are actually somewhat related to bettas. If your gouramis don't chase the betta it should be fine but if they do then there will definitely be a fight. That is why people tell you to watch if you have 2 male dgs because they are related to bettas.

I would not add a betta, male or female. And mollies really are more active than an 18g wou permit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 2 male dwarf gourami, two female platies, and 7 neon tetras in my 20 gallon. they all get along very very well.

I recommend tetras. they are really small and ignore my gouramis

Don't get a betta, females are just as aggressive as the males, but docile or not, other fish can stress out your betta and your betta can stress out your fish so I don't recommend them in that tank with those fish.

Back
Top Bottom