Compatible Tank Mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiguardo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am considering re-homing my 8 Rummynose Tetra from my 16 gallon tank to my 63 gallon tank. The 63 gallon contains 2 Angelfish, 4 Clown Loaches, 2 Golden Gourami & a Rainbow Shark. All, except the Angelfish are juveniles, and I have had the Rummynose for about 8 months, so are quite a good size.

I think they should all be ok together, as the Rummynose are mature enough, and more importantly, large enough, to not be dinner for the Angels :)

What do you think??

As long as the angels are still juvies, it should work. How big are the angels? I think an adult sized angel could still eat an adult sized rummynose.

Rosenweiss said:
As long as the angels are still juvies, it should work. How big are the angels? I think an adult sized angel could still eat an adult sized rummynose.

The angels are about 2.5-3 inches from top to bottom of their bodies, excluding fins & the dangly bits ;)

Hmmmmmm. I'd say it's on the line. How big are the rummys?

Rosenweiss said:
Hmmmmmm. I'd say it's on the line. How big are the rummys?

About a inch from nose to tail, I would say. Maybe I could ask the loaches to be bodyguards, although they're more interested in chasing each other!

To be honest, I would say that they're most likely okay. But... I don't want to be responsible for the death of your fish either... it's a judgment that you'll have to make. I think the rummynoses would be happier in the bigger tank though!

Rosenweiss said:
To be honest, I would say that they're most likely okay. But... I don't want to be responsible for the death of your fish either... it's a judgment that you'll have to make. I think the rummynoses would be happier in the bigger tank though!

Thanks for your advice. The Angels are pretty mellow (except with each other occasionally), so I hope they'll be ok. I agree that they'll enjoy the extra space.

As the tanks are from the same water supply, with the same Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate & temperature readings, is there any acclimatisation necessary? I was going to put them in to the tank as quickly as possible, once I have decided to re-home them, so they have safety in numbers.

There's still acclimation necessary. There's water quality differences that those factors can't necessarily tell you, and pH can change depending on what happens in the tank.

If the two are at the same temperature, it should help, but I would still do a 30 minute acclimation. You can do them all at once by using a large, gallon-sized bag, and clipping it to the inside of the tank, and replacing a little water with the new water every 10 minutes after the temps equalize.

Rosenweiss said:
There's still acclimation necessary. There's water quality differences that those factors can't necessarily tell you, and pH can change depending on what happens in the tank.

If the two are at the same temperature, it should help, but I would still do a 30 minute acclimation. You can do them all at once by using a large, gallon-sized bag, and clipping it to the inside of the tank, and replacing a little water with the new water every 10 minutes after the temps equalize.

Ideal. I think they're going to prove tricky to catch. Pretty speedy little fish! Plus whatever is going on in the tank, my guppies want to be in on the act :)

Haha! Best of luck! Can you put tank pics up? I'd love to see both your setups.

Rosenweiss said:
Haha! Best of luck! Can you put tank pics up? I'd love to see both your setups.

I've got some pics of my 63 gallon setup in a thread I started in the 'members tank showcase' section. It'd be good to get your thoughts.

Rummynose re-homing aborted! Managed to catch 5, but the other 3 were not being snared. All it was doing was stressing the Rummys & the other tank mates. Could've caught the Neons & Guppies ten times over. Trust me to pick the quickest little fish to go for :) Think I will look for a larger shoaling fish to add to my large tank......

Back
Top Bottom