Compatible tank mates for a betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A precaution...

Just from reading other post, I am under the impression Otto's are very hard to keep alive. I bought some many years ago when I was first starting out and they didn't last, but I attribute it to being new at the time. I really don't know.

A precaution...

Just from reading other post, I am under the impression Otto's are very hard to keep alive. I bought some many years ago when I was first starting out and they didn't last, but I attribute it to being new at the time. I really don't know.

They really aren't, all you need to insure is that they get their fair share of Algae, either from growth in the tank or using algae wafers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Betta's are alot better then their reputation. I had one in a 60 with platies, gourami, ram, cherry barbs. Honestly gave no one a hard time and i'd love to get a new one.

My betta chased the neons the first day but now he ignores them. He is in a heavily planted 10g with two snails and four neons.

Sent from my iPhone

I have a female betta with mine. He chased her around for a few days but shes quick enough to get away. There best friends now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My betta won't even flare up at his reflection or even if his neighbor betta flares at him he's really chill

Sooo... If i was to get an otto how many? I am aware that they may pass away within a few weeks because of not getting enough food from the pet store but i have a good LFS and they seriously no everything about them. I just didn't get the chance to ask how many to get first because they were busy... So i left.

I know betta fish can sometimes go with platies, gourami, guppy, etc but i don't want my fish to have his fins nipped at all. I don't want to risk anything and i know algae eaters or bottom swimmers will be to focused on what they do then to chase my betta :)

Apple Snails :) I house my Betta with one apple snail.

Be careful with a male Betta, they are like people they will choose either to be a bully or a decent member of you tank.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah i have thought of a snail :) but they eat plants and my betta loves his plants and so do i haha :) thank you for the reply though :)

Nerite snails do NOT eat healthy plants. They are my best friend in all three of my planted tank.

Sent from my iPhone

Oh wow they look amazing!!! I might consider one! What do they like to eat?? Apart from algae :) can they live in cold water tanks? I have a bit of algae in my large fancy goldfish tank and i am wondering about a snail for in there?

Sooo... If i was to get an otto how many? I am aware that they may pass away within a few weeks because of not getting enough food from the pet store but i have a good LFS and they seriously no everything about them. I just didn't get the chance to ask how many to get first because they were busy... So i left.

I know betta fish can sometimes go with platies, gourami, guppy, etc but i don't want my fish to have his fins nipped at all. I don't want to risk anything and i know algae eaters or bottom swimmers will be to focused on what they do then to chase my betta :)

A group of 4-5 would do just fine in 15G.

I'm not sure... I have 0 experience with cold water tanks. I have seen them use gold fish to eat a pond snail infestation at the lfs.... So idk if they would pick a nerite to death. I often see plecos with gold fish. You could try that. Or if you cold water tank isn't planted as the lfs for pond snails and let then eat the algae, the gold fish will have a nice snack too.

If there is no algae you can feed the snails blanched cucumber, spinach, zucchini. I try to offer them a algae wafer but they ignore it. I have 8 in my 29 tall and there is absolutely no algae any where to be seen. I'm always worried they're not getting enough to eat.

Sent from my iPhone

Angels are a definite no. Although you will find people who say they've had success but a little research will reveal most have had problems aka betta death. Angels can be quite aggressive. Not worth it. Plus, a 15 gallon wouldn't be big enough for a community aquarium with an angel and betta in it, unless that's all you had in the tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom