concerned & confused about test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey all :)
I recently switched up my tanks. I had a 46gal running (which is now my qt)
I redid the seals on an 80 and ran custom filtration I used the water from both of my other tanks to fill it and have the old filter running in it for the time being as well. My results from the 80 are PH-7.6 HI PH-7.4 NITRITE-0 NITRATE-40 AMMONIA-0.25
At first I thought possibly going through a mini cycle due to the move. Then I tested the 65gal (where I got the majority of the water from)(yes,hind sight I probably should have tested BEFORE I took the water) I figured it would be ok since the tank has been running for around 15 years with no concerns. Plus last weeks pwc and tests were all good. So this is where I'm puzzled, test results from the 65 are PH-7.6 HI PH-7.8ish NITRITE-0.25 NITRATE-80 (has come down since yesterday after a pwc it was 160) AMMONIA-0.25
My question what would cause such a spike in nitrates in this tank? No fish have passed no new tank mates I'm understocked I'm so confused!Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can figure out how to avoid this in the future :)

So your asking why your nitrate is high? Nitrate is the end product of the nitrogen cycle. They keep increasing until you do a water change then start increasing again. How much water and how often do you normally change in your tank?

Mumma.of.two said:
So your asking why your nitrate is high? Nitrate is the end product of the nitrogen cycle. They keep increasing until you do a water change then start increasing again. How much water and how often do you normally change in your tank?

I did a change last week thursday, and they were good. I do 25% every week on that tank (even when my other tank had ich and had to clean the siphon every time) I don't understand why it would spike like that in (what I thought) was a very well established tank?

Test your tap water and retest the tank making sure you shake the .... Out of the nitrate #2 bottle. You could have kicked up a lot of waste in the move. Lots of large water changes will be needed to bring it down to ~ 20ppm.

Mumma.of.two said:
Test your tap water and retest the tank making sure you shake the .... Out of the nitrate #2 bottle. You could have kicked up a lot of waste in the move. Lots of large water changes will be needed to bring it down to ~ 20ppm.

My tap is r/o, I thought about the bottle it is a new master kit (finally used the last of my other one) so I made sure I shook it like crazy this last time and still 80. Should I do a 50% pwc? Or stick to 25% and just do two a day?

Mumma.of.two said:
I remember about the RO now! :)
I'd do a 50% now wait half hour test then another 50%.

Thanks :) doing it now. I'll let you know how it goes *fingers crossed*

All pumped out just waiting for the buckets to fill up. I still don't understand what caused this. Do you think taking the water for the other tank could've stirred it up and caused this?

do you have live plants in your tank? if so, size type name?

I have plastic plants, I struggle keeping house plants alive, haven't been brave enough to try real ones in the tanks yet. I did the 50% last night and retested the nitrates are coming down a little. I'm going to do another 50% today. I was thinking about it last night and I looked in the book I keep on my results three weeks ago I added more sand to the tank,(washed it till it ran clear before putting it in) do you think mixing sand could be the cause of this spike??

i would buy some plants. lol, i fail at growing outdoor plants but alot of water plants are easy to grom. Your tank isnt planted, so where are the nitrates supposed to go? generally ammonia>nitrites>nitrates>plants. If you toss some little plants in there (as long as lighting isnt to bad) it should take care of your nitrate issue.

as for the sand, if it had plant or animal matter in it then it would release ammonia as it broke down then your bateria system converted it to nitrates. but i doubt there would be enough material in it to matter. even still, i wish i had this issue hah.

here is a plant even us brown thumbs find difficult to kill off. check your local laws to make sure you can have it, but its a great plant. heck, it will even reduce the ammount of WCs u need to do.

anacharis. great for removing nitrates, unkillable, grows without much help and doesnt even need to be in the sand or substrate. Its just as happy floating and planted. cheap and grows like wild fire. How to care for your new Anacharis, Egeria densa, with pictures
could worth a shot ya know?

I've thought about the plants, but I always thought you needed different substrate,fertilizer and special lights? All I have on the 65 in question is the stock hood/lights it came with. (even one of the same bulbs!) I understand the process of ammonia>nitrites>nitrates>plants, in my case it has been ammonia>nitrites>nitrates>vacuum lol!
It just strikes me as odd that it would change so drastically in a matter of days? My other question I guess would be, will the fish I have in there eat the plants? I do have a lot of bottom feeders too so anything that has to be planted may pose a challenge. I'll check out the link and see, who knows I may be jumping into the planted tank scene. ;-)

The good thing about aquarium plant vs regular potted house plants is you don't have to remember to water them. ;)

Some other plants that are next to indestructible are java fern, moss and anubias. They will grow under stock lighting and most of the time without ferts. :) They aren't as nitrate hungry as faster growing stem plants though. Oh and another fast growing nitrate hungry plant is hornwort.

A very good point you make there!! Lol! That is probably one of my biggest downfalls with plants. I looked at the link provided the (not even going to attempt the spelling of the plant) it looks pretty good for the 65. I do have some snails in there though, if they start eating the plant will I have an explosion in their population? How would I find out if I can have it where I live? I might even get some for my 80gal too. I have rams in that one and from what it was saying they love to snack on it. Update on the results we're down to 40 now. Lol Another water change here I come.. ;-)

Mumma.of.two said:
Some other plants that are next to indestructible are java fern, moss and anubias. They will grow under stock lighting and most of the time without ferts. :) They aren't as nitrate hungry as faster growing stem plants though. Oh and another fast growing nitrate hungry plant is hornwort.

Definitely going to be looking these ones up too. Thank you :) Now in between water changes I'll be researching plants. It looks like my qt tank may be inheriting a crap load of plastic plants. Lol!

Mlani said:
Definitely going to be looking these ones up too. Thank you :) Now in between water changes I'll be researching plants. It looks like my qt tank may be inheriting a crap load of plastic plants. Lol!

Lol! That's what I use my plastic ones for now. :) Plants aren't scary at all! If you pick ones suited to the lighting and tank conditions you have they are quite easy to look after.

My daughters friend for Christmas gave me a plastic plant with flowers and on the pot she wrote "you can't kill this one" so for me plants are very scary! Lol I just keep thinking about what Blert? Said, you don't have to water them. Lol!

Mlani said:
My daughters friend for Christmas gave me a plastic plant with flowers and on the pot she wrote "you can't kill this one" so for me plants are very scary! Lol I just keep thinking about what Blert? Said, you don't have to water them. Lol!

Lol! True true. I've managed to kill cactuses! Lol!
Just a hint. If you do go with live plants replace your bulb if it's more than a year old. They loose intensity if they get too old.

Back
Top Bottom