Concerns About My New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I went out and bought a 55 gallon tank tonight. I haven't set it up yet, but I had a few questions as this will be different coming from 10 gallon tanks.

I noticed there is a small blob of silicon glue on the side of the tank. How can I get this off? Would a razor be the best bet?

The 10 gallon tank I have is in a place that gets no direct sunlight, so algae hasn't been a problem. I can limit the amount of light that comes into the room by closing the blinds, but is algae just a problem with larger tanks that I will have to encounter? How can I help lower the chances of algae? What types of algae eaters don't grow excessively large like Plecos?

I wanted to try some sand substrate. Is it necessary to clean more often? I live along the ocean coastline. Can I use sand from an ocean beach if I rinse it out like crazy or will sand substrate from a fish store be best?

How often should I be doing PWCs and in what percentage? I plan to understock the tank and have smaller fish.

I plan to have a few plants. Can I keep a few plants in the tank without much care? Will the bioload just provide nutrients to the plants?

I'm super excited about getting this bigger tank, and I want to make sure I get things right. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just scrape the silicone off with a razor. Plants are good for many things. They will filter some of the nasty stuff out of the water, and they will use up resources that algae likes, thus reducing the amount of algae in your tank. Otocinclus are highly entertaining little catfish that do well in groups, so that's one possibility for algae eaters in your new tank. I wouldn't bother using beach sand unless you know it's free of pollutants. It just seems like one variable that you can control, so why not. Think about it- if it does end up being toxic to your fish, you're going to have to take the tank down, sterilize it, re-cycle it and start again from scratch. I'd just buy a known good substrate. The amount of care your plants require depends on which plants you pick. The easiest ones will do just fine with a minimum of effort on your part. http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php is a great place to start planning, picking your plants out by difficulty and required light level.

How can I get this off?
Just scrape it off with a razor blade
but is algae just a problem with larger tanks that I will have to encounter?
Algae can be a problem with all tanks. Size doesn't matter. Keep the blinds closed and put your lights on timers to control the amount of time they are on.
What types of algae eaters don't grow excessively large like Plecos?
Not all plecos grow excessively large. Honestly, it depends on what kind of algae you have. Some are better with green whereas others are better with diatoms.
Is it necessary to clean more often?
No, in fact, I find it easier to clean.
Can I use sand from an ocean beach if I rinse it out like crazy or will sand substrate from a fish store be best?
You can go to your local pool supply store and get a 50 lb bag of pool filter sand for about $6 to $10. It's heavier than a lot of sands sold at your lfs and a heck of a lot cheaper. I wouldn't use the sea sand.
How often should I be doing PWCs and in what percentage?
I do a 50% change once a week. It depends on what your levels are reading. If you are getting Nitrates in the 40s by doing a water change every two weeks, increase it to weekly. Go by your water test results to find a good schedule.
Can I keep a few plants in the tank without much care?
Yes but your options will be limited with the 55 gal stock lighting. Post in the planted forum for options. We have many excellent plant gurus on this site.

HTH

Fishyfanatic said:
You can go to your local pool supply store and get a 50 lb bag of pool filter sand for about $6 to $10. It's heavier than a lot of sands sold at your lfs and a heck of a lot cheaper. I wouldn't use the sea sand.

Will waste show up a lot more easily on sand vs. larger substrate with more gaps in between it? Even with weekly gravel vacs, that might bother me to see fish poo lying on the floor of the tank.

Alot of people use pool filter sand with plants and they grow nicely. I've never tried it though.

Well sand is a light color (pool sand is) so some waste will show more. I know that if you have a pleco (they poop alot) you can see it easier on the sand. But I don't think it will be horribly noticeable, especially with alot of smaller community fish. But, I've never had light colored sand before.

Fishyfanatic said:
Algae can be a problem with all tanks. Size doesn't matter. Keep the blinds closed and put your lights on timers to control the amount of time they are on.

I know natural sunlight is bad as far as causing algae growth, but I will have to open the blinds sometime to kill the normal germs that live inside the room. Is a few hours on a weekend going to be bad? As far as lighting goes, I normally work during the day and am home for about six hours before turning out the lights. That's pretty much the maximum lighting I'll have in the room. Are there any problems with that?

Thanks for all your responses.

What kind of lighting to you have on the tank? What kind of sunlight would the tank be getting? I used to have a tank that got evening sun and had great plant growth (and some thread algae) with stock lighting. Of course excess sunlight (some will argue any sunlight) can be a problem, but I have had more algae problems in lower light tanks (standard stock lighting types) than ones that got some sun... A typical lighting cycle for a tank should be between 10 and 12 hours a day. Have the lights come on later in the morning, so you can enjoy your tank in the evening.

My algae crew consists of Oto's, Cherry & other Shrimp, Nerite Snails (special snails that eat algae), a farlowella, and Siamese Algae Eaters...

It all really depends on what kinds of fish you absolutely want to have in the tank as to what would be compatible. In fact, what are you think of? Do you have pics of your current tanks? Are there some special fish that you really want to try? A look that you are going for (that may include plants)?

I have pool sand in a nano with just shrimp and snails, at it gets very messy. I would liken it to having a white car... you can really tell when it is dirty...

dapellegrini said:
What kind of lighting to you have on the tank? What kind of sunlight would the tank be getting? I used to have a tank that got evening sun and had great plant growth (and some thread algae) with stock lighting. Of course excess sunlight (some will argue any sunlight) can be a problem, but I have had more algae problems in lower light tanks (standard stock lighting types) than ones that got some sun... A typical lighting cycle for a tank should be between 10 and 12 hours a day. Have the lights come on later in the morning, so you can enjoy your tank in the evening.

I have pool sand in a nano with just shrimp and snails, at it gets very messy. I would liken it to having a white car... you can really tell when it is dirty...

I have flourescent bulbs on the hood. The room lights are flourescent too actually. That's right. I live in what looks like a Walmart. Ha. I can put the lights on a timer for a few hours a day without a problem. Is 10-12 what I should be shooting for as far as hours go?

The sunlight in the room isn't direct sunlight actually now that I think about it. It's just does a great job illuminating the room earlier in the morning and in the evening the sun is on the other side of the house so it's less.

I don't mind the sand turning darker, more "natural" colors. Is this what happens or does stuff lie on top of the sand?

I have flourescent bulbs on the hood. The room lights are flourescent too actually. That's right. I live in what looks like a Walmart. Ha. I can put the lights on a timer for a few hours a day without a problem. Is 10-12 what I should be shooting for as far as hours go?

Yes. I have mine on for 10 hours full blast and 2 hours dusk/dawn. With that lighting 12 hours should be no problem.

The sunlight in the room isn't direct sunlight actually now that I think about it. It's just does a great job illuminating the room earlier in the morning and in the evening the sun is on the other side of the house so it's less.

Shouldn't be a problem, and I don't think you should close your blinds. Direct sun would be your only possible concern. I don't think many people keep their tanks in caves :) My tanks have always been in rooms with plenty of ambient light.

I don't mind the sand turning darker, more "natural" colors. Is this what happens or does stuff lie on top of the sand?

I actually end up with a lot of crud on top of the sand. Doesn't seem to sink in and disappear like it does with slightly larger-sized substrates. End result is scum on top, and after a while a scummy color down about 1/4-inch in the sand (a dirty look). I don't vacuum mine though, so maybe others keep it clean that way...

The waste will sit ontop of the sand. But it depends on what kind of fish you are going to stock with. I can not see any fish waste on any of my community tanks. Honestly, one would think they don't poo at all. The African tank is a different story. But we have the current moving the waste into three spots so we can easily just suck it all out. I like sand because you can see the waste during water changes. With gravel it all sinks into the substrate and you have to find it. Plus, I think sand is easier to aquascape.

I stopped by a Home Depot on an unrelated trip, and I just decided to check out the pool supplies. They only had pool filter powder, not filter sand. I think these are two different things, as they said it would be too fine and unsettle in a fish tank with a filter running. Is this right? As I have never seen pool filter sand, can someone point me to a product page for it or let me know how to ask a pool supply store about it?

Is Diatomaceous Earth not right? I looked online at filter media here. The second page has something that says it's non-toxic, non-hazardous, and silica free. The last thing I want to do is put a few gallons of poison in the tank. Anyone know what I should be looking for here?

I believe what you want on that site is the Zeosand. It is called Zeolite and I see many people on this forum using it as a sand bottom. As I understand it, diatom. is super fine and tends to not stay in place very well.

Go to a pool supply store and ask for Pool Filter Sand. Home Depot and Lowes are a hit or miss. I've never seen it in either store but some people have. The pool supply store should have it and know exactly what you are talking about. I've never heard of the powder before. The sand is heavy and will keep it's place on the bottom of the tank.

Yeah, I did a search and someone in this forums actually works/worked at a pool supply store and said Zeosand even is something that is half the weight of sand, because it is much more porous on a microscopic level. Regular pool filter sand is what I will be askingn for in a pool supply store.

Yeah, I think that's the negative about it. Half the weight of sand is quite a bit I think. This was the thread I was talking about if anyone is curious.

Back
Top Bottom