Concrete in Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

metrov

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Does anyone know the pros and cons of using concrete in an aquarium? I have a 100 gallon, fresh water tank with a couple of large decorative objects inside made of concrete -- a Buddha head, and an Angel.

My water always tests very high alkalinity. I keep trying to lower it with PH adjusters, and it won't budge. I'm beginning to wonder if it's from the concrete objects? Also, it seems a lot of my fish die for no apparent reason, because the water otherwise tests fine.

Thanks

Concrete leeches chemicals for years into water. Since the chemical the sets the concrete and creates the chemical reaction is activated by water. Try not to use adjusters they only temporarily fix the issue your water will naturally adjust back to its "ambient" PH. Ph swings will kill fish its better to keep it at a fixed ph than have it swinging all over the place. Your fish can adjust to fixed ph better than it swinging all over the place. =)

Are the decorations made for aquaria? or are they something for the yard or to decorate your home with. Aquaria concrete is bonded using a resin epoxy, safe for fish.

The concrete decorations are made for the yard. I guess that means I should remove them from the aquarium, or coat them with resin. Would you agree? Could the yard decorations be what's killing some of my fish?

thanks

definate possibility that is standard concrete and it leaches other nasty chemicals into the water you can cure it in a clave but thats expensive. coating it in epoxy may work but even then you should only use epoxy safe for aquaria and that may get pricey too. You might be better off going to the LFS and getting something similar it would probably save you money and most important the lives of your inhabitants.

i would say no to the concrete. i poured concrete fondations for houses and driveways for 5 years and know that concrete doesnt fully cure for several years. that chemicals that help that process, im almost possitive, would reek havoc on your water quality.

i could be wrong.
just my .02

Back
Top Bottom