Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are mystery , inca , and apple snails the same??! When I type in "inca snail" on the web i get these snails. Very confused!

Wonder8331 said:
Yes apple snails are also revered to as mystery snails

What about inca snails do you know ? Because I got 2 black mystery and 3 inca snails hope incas don't eat plants!!

Sorry but I've never heard of inca snails I'll do some research enjoy ur snails tho I love mine he's hysterical! They get really big tho so be careful of the temp high temps cause them to grow and if it too fast the shells crack. Found out the hard way but gary is huge and doing great now

Wonder8331 said:
Sorry but I've never heard of inca snails I'll do some research enjoy ur snails tho I love mine he's hysterical! They get really big tho so be careful of the temp high temps cause them to grow and if it too fast the shells crack. Found out the hard way but gary is huge and doing great now

Ok thanks!! So 20G will be good for them? How big can they get?

Apple snails have many different names in the trades, so it gets confusing.

There are different species of apple snails, some will eat plants. The plant safe species I know of is Pomacea bridgesii. this is referred to as Inca snails in some lfs.

However, most lfs cannot identify the snails by species. <I once got some P. cannuliculatas sold as bridgesii .... well, canas are voracious plant eaters.>

The differences in appearance of the various apple snails are subtle. Go to applesnail.net to learn to ID the snails. Most lfs don't know what they are selling, so they call them "mystery snails" ... ie. It is a mystery what you are getting!

jsoong said:
Apple snails have many different names in the trades, so it gets confusing.

There are different species of apple snails, some will eat plants. The plant safe species I know of is Pomacea bridgesii. this is referred to as Inca snails in some lfs.

However, most lfs cannot identify the snails by species. <I once got some P. cannuliculatas sold as bridgesii .... well, canas are voracious plant eaters.>

The differences in appearance of the various apple snails are subtle. Go to applesnail.net to learn to ID the snails. Most lfs don't know what they are selling, so they call them "mystery snails" ... ie. It is a mystery what you are getting!

Thanks a ton!! Was soo confused.

Back
Top Bottom