Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am confused. I have the 75 gal tank set up. I am using a A/C 300 from my goldfish tank with very very well seeded media. I have a fluval 404 that was running on the tank before I got it, most likely the bacteria in that were killed off as it was 2 days from the time he tore the tank down to the time I got it. Also all the sand from the tank is the sand that he had in the tank. He had the tank set up for 6 months. In addition I took the very dirty filter media from my exsisting fluval 404 sponges and threw the sponges into the 75 gal . There is actual gunk sitting on the sand for 24 hours now, and my readings are ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrates only just under 5ppm, barely detectable. I will not put fish into the tank until I show some nitrates. Why aren't there more nitrates? I'm completely confused. The tank has been running for 2 days now, the A/C has been on it for the full 2 days. I assumed all this seeded media would ensure me a immediate cycle. Help me to understand. TIA.

*edit* The nitrates are actually 5ppm. The water filtration rate is good the water cleared up in an hour after adding the sponges and the water was really brownish from the media! I can add more bio media from my Fluval FX 5 if this will help. What do you all think, a good idea or I've got enough in there.

No ammonia or nitrites=no nitrates. Nitrates are the end result of biofiltration, and won't increase until there are fish to produce ammonia.

toddnbecka said:
No ammonia or nitrites=no nitrates. Nitrates are the end result of biofiltration, and won't increase until there are fish to produce ammonia.

unless zags already used an ammonia source... you didn't say? It may be already cycled.

I didn't use an ammonia source, I used several methods of seeded media as mentioned. I added ammonia tonight as per Hara and Rich's suggestion to see if it is gone tomorrow. I think the tank will be cycled based on the amount of seeded media in the tank.

I have to agree. With all of the media you used, richly laden with beneficial bacteria, you should be cycled. You would have been better off with adding an ammonia source earlier, but you caught it in time IMO.

Jchillin said:
I have to agree. With all of the media you used, richly laden with beneficial bacteria, you should be cycled. You would have been better off with adding an ammonia source earlier, but you caught it in time IMO.

LOL I was rather counting on the tank having only been torn down for one day rather than 2 8O, and using the seeded media to keep the tank cycled. Similar to as if I had moved from one location to another, I wouldn't expect to have to do another cycle. My hope was to be cycled instantly. I will know for sure tomorrow I guess. But with all the tanks I have and all the prep I did to make sure I had several heavily seeded filter medias, I would honestly expect I am cycled. If that is the case, fish will go in tomorrow. If not I will obviously wait until I am cycled.
:D

If you have 5ppm nitrates, you are doing well. I was looking at the 2 day down time. That is always the tricky part...do you add the fish immediately or use an artificial ammonia source just to be sure? I'd say your cycled since you have 5ppm nitrates. :D

I know what you mean, I want so much for the fish to be healthy and will never add fish to a non-cycled tank again. I'm glad I was reminded about adding ammonia to be sure.

even with a seeded filter you still need an ammonia source to feed the bacteria.. without an ammonia source the bacteria will die off.

Hara said:
not that quickly it wont

That's exactly what I thought! Unfortunately I tested the ammonia at lunch, added 1ppm of ammonia yesterday and ammonia is still at .6. :( I guess I will have to wait a bit as I will not add the fish until the ammonia is clear. *Bummed*

but you said you were testing for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, you wouldn't have any nitrates without an ammonia source to convert to nitrite then to nitrate. You would be testing for nothing and when you add the ammonia.. or a fish, and you test and see the ammonia and nitrites are at zero and you have nitrates thats how you know the biological filter is established and that you are getting that breakdown of toxins.

and my readings are ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrates only just under 5ppm, barely detectable. I will not put fish into the tank until I show some nitrates. Why aren't there more nitrates? I'm completely confused. The tank has been running for 2 days now, the A/C has been on it for the full 2 days. I assumed all this seeded media would ensure me a immediate cycle. Help me to understand. TIA.

Why aren't there more nitrates??? Becuase htere is no ammonia being broken down into nitrates because there are no fish producing ammonia and you aren't adding anything. Thats the point i was trying to make.

Yes but the tank was set up 2 days prior to my taking possession of it and was a fully established tank with all the same filters and substrate and ornaments. I rather expected that in 2 days the beneficial bacteria would not die off. The sand was kept wet but he dried out the filters. I was hoping it would be the same as moving when you tear a tank down and set it up again at the new location, your bacteria is not lost. But apparantly with dry filters and 2 days it does die off. I fed the tank once I received it to make sure there was a source for the bacteria.

Zagz said:
Yes but the tank was set up 2 days prior to my taking possession of it and was a fully established tank with all the same filters and substrate and ornaments. I rather expected that in 2 days the beneficial bacteria would not die off. The sand was kept wet but he dried out the filters. I was hoping it would be the same as moving when you tear a tank down and set it up again at the new location, your bacteria is not lost. But apparantly with dry filters and 2 days it does die off. I fed the tank once I received it to make sure there was a source for the bacteria.

it shouldn't die off in two days but you have to continue to provide an ammonia source in order to get nitrates.

Well I guess I am just impatient LOL, ammonia tests at 0ppm, nitrites at 0ppm, nitrates at 5-10 ppm.

Zagz said:
Well I guess I am just impatient LOL, ammonia tests at 0ppm, nitrites at 0ppm, nitrates at 5-10 ppm.

LOL...a little bit of impatience coupled with enormous concern. I'd say your quite normal (if fishkeeper's can be considered normal). Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom