Confused about my molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnimalFan

Aquarium Advice Newbie

A couple of months ago I "adopted" a large male molly, Porky, from my boss to add to my livebearer community. She told me that he was a male gold molly, and since I have only been previously familiar with swordtails, I didn't think anything of it. However, tonight I bought Porky a girlfriend, a gold molly. (I also bought a lonely little gold dust molly). When I brought her home, and saw her compared to the male, I noticed that they look very different. I can tell they are both mollies, because their fin patterns and body shapes look alike, but their colors are different. Porky is very large, I'd say three inches, and a very pale marigold. His fin designs are a bright greenish, and his pupils are black. The female is normal size I'd say, and she is reddish-orange, with reddish pupils, and her fin designs are yellow-orange. Is the male a different type of molly than what my boss had told me? :?: :?:
Thanx for your help!!

Probably are the same type of molly, it is common in the animal world for the males to be much brighter in color and almost look like a different species than the females. It is only in the human species that females are much better looking than males :wink:

Well, look at it this way, i may be white, but my birthmark is hardly visible, and my skin is not very dark, where as another white male may have a dark purple birthmark, and be very tan. Just trying to rationalize with ya

Back
Top Bottom