confusing ammonia test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been cycling my 55 gallon tank and for the past 4 weeks or so I have been getting a consistant reading of 0.25 ammonia even though I was past the time that everyone else says it takes to cycle a tank. This morning I tested and it was 0.25 again. I did appox a 40 percent water change then a few hours later tested again and it was still at 0.25. I have been using a Red Sea test kit but last week purchased an API ammonia test kit so I decided to check the results with that. The API is showing a very definite 0 for ammonia. Has anyone else ever had discrepancies between brands of test kits or know anything about one being more accurate than the another?

yes. test kits vary.

so, what ammonia source have you been using to cycle?

I have 6 goldfish in there now. I was doing pwc's until I started getting consistant readings of 0.25 ammonia. They have been doing very well with no problems at all.

If you've also seen an extended Nitrite spike .... then drop to 0 (or near 0)... and measurable NitrAte readings, You can probably assume your tank has cycled and the test reading was off.

That said... 4 weeks may be enough to complete a cycle, but it's also not uncommon for it to take 6 or more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom