Congo tetra spine help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought some congos for my 40 gal all of them look fine getting nice color but I noticed the larger of them has the slightest curve at his tail and I know this is bad news for tetras
My question is that if with time it'll recover with good water quality ?
Or it'll get worse as time passes ?
Thanks

So far I haven't seen or read anything on Congo tetras having a bent spine
Anyone know anything on this ? I only find spine damages with cardinals and neons

I have had Congo Tetras for years and have never had one with a curved spine. I believe it is caused by extesive inbreeding. It is often seen in Livebearers. It is an inherited trait and there is no cure.

julielover said:
I have had Congo Tetras for years and have never had one with a curved spine. I believe it is caused by extesive inbreeding. It is often seen in Livebearers. It is an inherited trait and there is no cure.

This is my understanding too. I've had 2 tetras with the same spinal curvature over the years, one glowlight and one neon. They live and grow as well as any other fish in the school but actually seem to get a slightly more prominent look to the curves, at least in my two past fish experiences. My glowlight actually grew large quicker than any of the straight spined ones I bought with it.

julielover said:

That makes sense thank you

CorallineAlgae said:
This is my understanding too. I've had 2 tetras with the same spinal curvature over the years, one glowlight and one neon. They live and grow as well as any other fish in the school but actually seem to get a slightly more prominent look to the curves, at least in my two past fish experiences. My glowlight actually grew large quicker than any of the straight spined ones I bought with it.

Ah ok as long as they are normal and adapt luckily it's just one

Back
Top Bottom