Congo Tetras tank mate thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
12 Congo Tetras (nearly a year old) are the reason I am setting up my FW 80G (Innovative Marine lagoon) river tank. (already have the tank)

Moving over to the 80G...

There are 4 smallish Clown Loaches, more room as they grow.

And a couple or 3 Dwarf Petricola (Synodontis lucipinnis aka Synodontis Petricola "dwarf").

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Just looking for a smallerish but not edible preferably colorful fish, which group /shoal /school.

The Congos are 4" nose to tail probably about full grown.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>>><><><><><><>
Cherry barbs are one thought. I have not kept them before other than a loner which came with some rescued fish.

Although not as colorful also thought of Kyathit Orange Finned Danio or Gold Ring Burmese Tinwini Danio, but only get 2 inches and are mouth shaped.

Congos so far do not seem to have gulped up any current Neon tankmates -that I can tell, there are about 35-40 Neons.

Any ideas or thoughts? Or good (or bad) experiences with the Congo Tetras?

Last edited:
I had a tank of full grown congo tetras along with a group of Columbian tetras. Made a ncie combination.

Were they nippy or aggressive? I haven't kept these.

Black tetras maybe for colour contrast? I’ve never kept them though.

You thinking Black Skirts or Black Neons or ???

There are maybe 5 of the Serpae Tetra aka Red Minor, I could move them over. There is one or 2 long fin of the specie and maybe could get a number more of those. I will look at the needs. Those came with the Wine Glass tank and I grabbed more but several didn't survive when they were in QT. Then I just never expanded their number.

Hmmm, it was black skirts but only as have never even seen black neons lol. Was mainly thinking might be a colour contrast?

The background is black, it is the color of the overflow and can't see changing it.

The Serpae Tetras are okay. They seem to not bother the other fish. But I have seen them be nippy in tanks which were kept by kids and in unknown water quality and if there were a good group of them. Probably not kept in a good group.

I steered clear of them forever since my childhood memories of my kid cousin's fish tank with frequent deaths. :nono:

These are a smallish group but swim all over basically chasing each other.

So still thinking about moving them over. Looks like they are South American fish.

Some one else I was talking to mentioned maybe adding a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides or which ever variation I can get easily or would like.

We have a big Cichlid society group at the CAS though I haven't made it over to their auctions yet. They are, I think 2x per year a week or 2 after the CAS spring and fall auctions.

I can get dwarf Cichlids from the hobbyist breeders locally, not always inexpensively, but I have seen very beautiful fish come through auction. So maybe those, pair, trio or harem.

The yearly 20% off at the one lfs is Saturday the 7th. And I am not sure they will be well stocked. Never have made it on sale day.

The one year I was going to go, I was looking for 2 nano fish varieties, and they were not in stock, so I didn't drive 45-1 hour one way.

Ah good point. Yes, dwarf cichlids could be nice. Still haven’t given up completely on black :) - harlequin rasboras?

There is a "purple" / black variety of Harlequin. Just think they are too dark.

This weekend I will see if there are any fish for sale and weigh the options. Maybe someone will have something wonderful up for sale :brows:

I must confess to having trouble - I find Congo tetras such a colourful fish. Maybe I’ll suggest get more Congo tetras! :)

What I found out is that the Apistogramma love to hide so not the most social fish to keep.

Will take the suggestion under advisement of more Congo Tetras. The last 2 weeks we have had snow on the ground and covering all the tank wood and rocks. It is seeming to melt and I might get a shot of working towards getting the tank up tomorrow or the next day.

Maybe when I see the Congo Tetras IN the tank, which could be a little bit longer after it gets set up, will see what would be needed.

Still open to ideas.

Due to some circumstances, was not able to make it to the lfs annual Christmas sale.

What I found out is that the Apistogramma love to hide so not the most social fish to keep.

Will take the suggestion under advisement of more Congo Tetras. The last 2 weeks we have had snow on the ground and covering all the tank wood and rocks. It is seeming to melt and I might get a shot of working towards getting the tank up tomorrow or the next day.

Maybe when I see the Congo Tetras IN the tank, which could be a little bit longer after it gets set up, will see what would be needed.

Still open to ideas.

Due to some circumstances, was not able to make it to the lfs annual Christmas sale.

My apisto, a hongsloi I think it’s spelled, is out and about all the time. Follows you from side to side, and even follows my hand around while doing wcs and cleaning. Not a shy fish by any means

Maybe also depends on the fish. Will keep them on the list and see what the differences of those are (if any really). It might be nice to have sociable fish since the Congos love to get fed but aren't like a puppy fish.

Back
Top Bottom