Congos fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone so long story short I have 4 congos got them all young and I ended up with 2 males and 2 females. When the lights are on everything seems fine and no troubles but almost as soon as the lights go out I see the two males zooming back and fourth across the tanks and fighting each other. So question is what should I do about it? What are my options? Get rid of the females and get two more males? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, Congo tetras are strongly hierarchical. The males will sometimes want to challenge the hierarchy especially when competing for females. I suspect the real problem is that your group is too small you probably want to have 8-10 of them. How big is your tank?

Ultimately, as long as they aren't actually damaging each other it may be OK. I would definitely keep an eye on them though. Especially if they are in a small space.

There's been no damage yet anyways. They are fine in the day time it's just right after the light are out. Hasn't happened much since just a few nights in a row. There in a 55 gal planted community tank. How many of each should I get I'd probably only get 3 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with adding more, but I don't think that that will do much. It's standard behavior in my experience - one of the joys of keeping them. I think a 55 is a wee bit small for them - an 18 inch wide tank (like a 75) would be better, but the 55 should work.

[youtube]8CHfFHfVRQw[/youtube]

Back
Top Bottom