Cons of a Pleco? (help save an innocent pleco!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm only getting a twenty five gallon, but my mom insists on getting a pleco for it. I'm the one who did the research for the tank, and now my mom is acting like an expert. The only fish she's kept have all died. She tells me that you have to have a pleco in a tank.

I don't want to injure an innocent fish, so what are some serious cons to this fish? I've already told her about the size, but she doesn't care, and I'm getting really upset!! I'm already getting:

6 zebra danios
6 male guppies
4 panda cories

Please help me!!

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

A common pleco can grow up to 24" in size. They need a tank of 120+ gallons. A twenty gallon tank is way too small. There is no way and no circumstance that a common pleco is an acceptable choice for a 20.

There are species, like bristlenose plecos, that would be suitable... but I think you are getting close to your stocking limit. Why does she think you need one? Adding a fish to take care of "maintenance" in a tank is a bad idea. It will contribute to further algae and water quality problems, not improve it.

You do not need a pleco, as fort said.

If you would like one, look into some of the smaller species. The genera Panaque, Peckoltia, Ancistrus, and Parotocinculus will give you some options.

Also, tell your mom that most species of plecos are omnivorous. Some don't even eat much algae at all. ;)

She thinks it will make it so we don't have to clean it.

I know about common pleco size, etc. I'm getting upset with her because she won't listen. I've told her everything you said. Even that they eventually make more of a mess than they clean up.

What can I tell her that you haven't already said? I dont want to be responsible for a fish's death.

I think my mom thinks she will have to care for the tank. She has to help me clean the frog tank because of the amount of algae it gets so quickly. But the fish tank will be bigger, and it will have a better filter, etc.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Size and filtration don't have an impact on algae growth. Algae growth is caused by imbalances in nutrients.

Adding a pleco will only increase the amount of maintenance that has to be done.

If you do want something to consume algae - there are other fish and creatures that do eat it. However, as the others said - you don't have to have one and it is better to have to deal with algae yourself than to have too many fish ;)

Good luck!

Also, tell your mom that most species of plecos are omnivorous. Some don't even eat much algae at all. ;)

I had what I like to call a 'gourmet' Pleco. It could sense frozen brine shrimp the instant they hit the water. He'd come up, grab the block and just sink back down sucking away on it. So I can certainly testify on them eating meats!

Your better off with cherry shrimps & Gost shrimp ...they pick up lots of un eaten food and ive even seen my cherry shrimp eating fish waste.

She thinks it will make it so we don't have to clean it.

Nonsense. lol

Adding a pleco will only increase the amount of maintenance that has to be done.

Absolutely.

Unfortunately Bettababe1011, she is mistaken. She is simply replacing what the Pleco MAY eat (it may not!) with the poop (and lots of it) it WILL produce. Get ready to do a lot MORE cleaning up if you do get a Pleco. It's frankly silly for her not to comprehend this. :)

Plecos poop a LOT. I had a common pleco and most of the vacuuming I did was to get the pleco poop out. I sold him and my tank has stayed so much cleaner. I wouldn't get one. They're cute, but only add to the bio load of the tank

Get a magnet cleaner, those are life savers! Or snails? Maybe a siamese algae eater? Only about 2" fully grown.

Get a magnet cleaner, those are life savers! Or snails? Maybe a siamese algae eater? Only about 2" fully grown.

True SAE's grow quite a bit larger than 2 inches.

Your best bet is to find the cause of the algae and deal with that. Add fish because you want to keep that species, not to deal with a problem IMO.

Tell her that if she wants an aquarium, cleaning it is REQUIRED. There is no fish or algae eater that will make a tank not need cleaning every once in a while. The magnet cleaners are really easy to use and they work really effectively. They also control it so you don't have to use blades. That doesn't mean you don't have to clean it. If she doesn't want to take care of an aquarium, then maybe they aren't right for her. This is in NO way at all meant to be mean, but you said she won't listen to you, so tell her what is here^^^

Maybe she should get a cat, they're self cleaning and will poop where you tell them to. :)

Cat wouldn't be an option. Sister in law is allergic.

My mom won't say no. I've told her everything you've said. So, I'm sorry to be adding to this problem, but I'm being forced to get a pleco. I am naming him Ninja though, because of the nocturnal factor, hiding during the day.

I have a magnetic cleaner that came in handy with my frog tank yesterday when we had to do a complete clean out. It will be used with all my tanks, and yes, is a life saver. Thank you for trying to help me, but it didn't work.

Wish this fish luck, and please don't be mad at me. I didn't want this fish, but will be getting one because of my mom.

I made her pay for everything that the pleco needs though, because I didn't want to buy for a fish that didn't even belong in a twenty gallon, much less with sixteen other fish. I did tell her that as soon as it seemed to be growing a little large for the tank the tank would be upgraded, still trying to talk her out of it. But I still will upgrade for it's benefit when it grows. Again, please forgive me for contributing to the misunderstanding of the common pleco species.

Print out this thread and leave it on her bed/desk. Then print out every article you can find on plecos and their size and staple it together. Make HER do a little research, and you'll find that her opinions may have changed a bit. ;)

I really would refuse to buy it for her. I know it's hard, but tell her it's unethical, it's a death/torture sentence for the pleco

Sorry, I've already done all I can, now I need to know how to tell when it's time for a bigger tank so he isn't stunted. My mom has already decided, and she knows there length, I've told her about stunting, etc. I just need to know how to keep him a healthy as possible in what I have.

Emi, she's buying the fish. I can't tell her that I just won't do it, she would say I'm being a snot or something. I'm upset with her, but if she's gonna pay for it, I can't stop her. I need to know what I can do as the owner to keep it healthy. I don't want it stunted, so at what size would I need to move it before it becomes stunted? Is it possible to keep a fish like that, moving it into a bigger tank when it needs it?

Back
Top Bottom