Considering A Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endgame319

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My lfs has a really beautiful dt betta mixed in with the regular ones. I dont have the money for a large tank with a heater and everything so I was going to put him in a 3gallon bowl. I ran a 25watt heater from Walmart in it and the temperature shot up to 85+ (I dont have the betta yet). The room temp in the winter is 67-70 in my house. Would the betta be able to adapt to this low temperature for a few months of the year? It should get up to 75 in summer so he'd be comfortable then. The bettatalk website said 65 is the absolute minimum and an lfs person said he would be fine but I felt I needed to consult you guys first.

He really wouldn't be at his healthiest and most vital in cold temps.
The Walmart heater..it's the little plastic one?
The enclosed slip suggests no smaller than 5 gallons.

If you Reeeealy wann snap that boy up......

Get a candle bowl..thinner glass, they run qt size.... Or some other large enclosedd bowl or jar..temporarily float your betta in the large tank in the bowl so his temp stays good. Just clean the bowl diligently every other day.

Then go find a 5-8 gallon plastic reptile keeper ..
They look like this. http://www.petsr4u.com/proddetail.asp?prod=hagensmallpals

Lee , Hagen And Some off brands make em. walmart Petco and petsmart carries em . and wahtever you have for Fred Myer up there (6-12 bucks US). there are little Hermit crab and turtle square versions that are just as adequate.

Around here 10 gallon glass are cheap. So I go that route. ^_^

Your betta doesn't care that it looks cheesy..^_^ It is a nice comfortable home. (I use them as QT tanks in aprx 8 gal size)

It could even be just temporary. I dont think I'd do the two-tank think, it would look kinda tacky on my computer desk. I think I know what I'm going to do though. I'll have some money at the end of march that I can use too buy a 10g setup. I would use a tank divider to split it into 1/3 and 2/3 sections, put the betta in one half, and a school of dwarf puffers in the other. So I'd like to know if he'd be able to survive the month in the slightly-cold temperatures untill I can get a better setup for him. Theres no betta breeders in my area and this is my best chance of getting a fancy betta. TIA

-edit-

Here's another option, keep him in my 10g hex. But it has a juvenile angel in it, he's still pretty timid, and I dont think he'd be aggressive toward the betta.

If he is a darker ( the closer they get to albino/white he more delicate they are...it's the required inbreeding)he can survive temps under 75. But under 70 is a lot to ask. That is even colder than the average giant retail store. Another option is to place his bowl somewhere warm where the floor stays a nice temp. Stereo equipment, fridge.
Do you have a heating pad? Or electric balnket?

That is what I did for a week until small heaters came in stock.

It also depends on the lfs temp. Ask them. A betta acclimatized already to a chillier enviroment can last a month longer. You know as the self proclaimed defender of Betta freedom; I am not keen on his unhappiness in a non-tropical setting.
But the next guy to come buy him may put him in 1 pint or less "bettabowl" for life and never think of it. You like your fish and want them to be their most striking colors. I'd rather he go home with you, than some bozo's hideous 6 year old to set on a desk never sat at die ignobly in a cold soup of flakes!They are very adaptable little fish. He'll blossom with heat, ,but he should be alright in the interim if he has no illnesses

My betta is fine in an unheated tank - temp doesn't go below 70F tho. It's been like that for a month or two (well, winter). He's definitely a lot perkier when it's warmer it seems (even at 74F).

Baensch Aquarium Atlas recs 75-86F for Betta Splendens.

http://www.bettatalk.com/water.htm (quoted below)
Water temperature. Fish are very sensitive to temperature changes as well. Tropical fish live in temperatures ranging from 75F to 82F hence the need for a good heater to keep the water warm. If kept in less than 5 gal tanks you cannot use heaters, they might heat up the water too fast and cook your fish. Instead, keep your jars in a warm room. Don’t be cheap when it comes to heaters. A bad heater can KILL all your fish. Spend a few extra buck and get something reliable. Anytime you move a fish, make sure to float his bag/cup to even out the temperatures (see “acclimating your new betta“). ). A good thermometer is a must too, because heaters can be temperamental so you need to keep an eye on them. Bettas will quickly die if exposed to extreme temps such as anything below 56F or above 95F. They can survive if exposed TEMPORARILY to low temps between 56F and 65FF or high temps between 85F and 95F.

----------

I think temporarily would mean like overnight or something. Not for an extended period of time...

No, I think i'm going to put it off untill the end of the month. If he's still there then great, but i'm sure there will be equally beautifull bettas there :)

Then only your house is a room temp colder than usual, eh?

Like my old mausoleum I bet. My ambient temp in this draft palace is 59-70. I turned my temp to 80 for 2 weeks this winter to raise the upper floor temps to 73-74. (the bathrooms were 80 tho. mmmmm!) My power bill was 425. 8O My tank heaters are on all the time. Great in Summer.

Well then you can get prepped for your study buddy's desk spot.
There are several fine Betta breeders in Canada of showfish if you want fancy (they also have adopt-a-cull programs). Somebadly marked(odd colors) have prices like 5-10 bucks. I am sure there is one in your general area (to have cheaper shipping). And mid summer is when they have tons.

I still say go for the lil DT he'd be better off with you. :)

Back
Top Bottom