Considering a second tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK--I am planning on picking up the tank this weekend and am working on the on-line order for the rest of the equipment. The tank would be 75 gallons, hood, stand, and 40 W light. I am thinking I would like to try lightly planted with relatively low light for now. From what I understand, I should at least try and bump up the lighting to about 80W (correct?) Basically, I would like any comments on the shopping list--anything missing, anything inappropriate for the setup?
Fluval 404
Package (11.5 oz) of ceramic rings (media is included, but I assume it would come with carbon?)
Digital thermometer
2x 200W submersible heaters (Big Al's does not seem to carry in-line; I will see if it would be available locally and not way overpriced....)
75# gravel (Question--I am thinking I would keep cories and/or smaller loaches; should this be sand instead?)
Master test kit
Dechlorinator
Extra food

Thanks again!

Sand would be better, but you can get away with gravel. It just depends on how smooth it is. I don't recall what type of fish you plan to keep, but you may need a Maxi-jet. We always have at least one in tanks that are larger than 29 gal. Carbon will be included with the filter, but like you said, you will probably just use the Ceramic rings.

I was planning on keeping cories and/or loaches, as well as gouramis. As for the maxijet, I thought that the canister filter would provide enough aeration. Is that incorrect?

Using the maxi-jet is for water movement. It can be used for airation, but can also be used to move the water around the tank.

Assuming that I do go with sand then, are there any additional concerns I should be aware of? Would there be fish that should not be kept with a sand substrate? As for cleaning, would I be able to vacuum the same way I do with gravel?
Thanks once again.

I don't know of any fish that doesn't like sand. Just make sure it's smooth sand. In regards to cleaning, it is similar to gravel vacing. Basically you just swish the end of the vac just above the sand and it will kick up the fish waste. What I have started to do is push the gravel vac about an inch into the sand. It pulls up some sand, but if I swish the tube from side to side, most of it falls back down into the tank. It doesn't take up too much sand. The only "concern" that you will have with sand is to make sure that it is cleaned very well before putting it in the tank.

Fishyfanatic--first off, I do really appreciate your feedback; thank you. With regard to cleaning the sand before putting it in the aquarium, is this only an issue if I do not by sand sold specifically for an aquarium? Along those lines, if I do try to buy sand at the hardware store, is there anything in particular I need to be looking for (other than it being smooth as you already mentioned)?

Btw--I just figured out the kudos thing. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom