Considering hillstream loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly those guys are better off now than the vast majority of captive hillstreams.

As for thinness, on the off chance that they won't take anything prepared, you can put any algae covered decor from another tank or try blanched veggies. I believe most BK's are wildcaught so pretreating for intestinal parasites is also not a bad idea

Sand is fine as long as you can get it to stay put in the high flow.

Yes. With large smooth round river style rocks.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I saw a pic online of this species with African cichlids, hard to imagine a worse setting. One of the fish store managers was very receptive to my info, the other know it all not so much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should go yell at your LFS for calling them retics too... retics (sewellia lineolata) are pretty uncommon ;)

Hillstream loaches are so often mistreated I wish they'd disappear from the hobby altogether tbh. Hillstream loaches with african cichlids is just.... ugh.

Once they're in a tank with rocks and stuff they'll definitely be out more.

Too bad most stores are all about the $ and not the animals. I'm glad you saved them but I really hope they don't just order more now.

Anyway, that new setup for them will be awesome!

Brenna

Just thinking out loud here, but would I be possible to do a 3D bottom instead of a 3D background and shape it into a curved river/stream for the loches? Think that would be pretty cool, but might interfere with viewing them.

I don't know just thinking out loud because I think it'd be a cool project.

I suppose, but it's easy enough to use sand and smooth rocks to achieve the same thing. What would be the advantage?

Not really sure. I've seen some really cool 3D backgrounds though so I'm sure someone with some artistic talent could make it really cool.

Lets breed them together. Ill meet ya there.... Lol

Those specifically are "Gold Ring Reticulated" hillstream loaches.

My friend has some Hillstreams in a 75g with Stiphodons.

Hers bred, she had 3 babies at last count. 2 big HOB filters plus a power head. Lots of plants. Fed on Repashy gel food plus algae in the tank.

Hers are Siwellia lineolata I believe. The parents are CB from another Loaches Online member.

She also has some Gastromyzon in there. I forget which species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom