Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2003, 12:43 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to reberly
Wouldn't that peat moss have helped to lower the KH so far? It softens and lowers alkalinity doesn't it?

Ryan

Old 06-30-2003, 08:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope. The peat will only lower the GH of the water. Should not affect the KH or pH.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to meelah Send a message via MSN to meelah
Sorry for the delayed response, my pops went into the hospital last week, so I've been up there quite a bit...But anyhow...

Quote:
Ok, with that low of a KH, it is no wonder your pH is swinging around. Where you able to test the KH of your tap water? I am betting your tap water has a KH of above 3 dKH or so as you said earlier:
I tested the kH of the tap water, and I'd have to say it's between 2 and 3 dkH (the water changed slightly at 2, but big time at 3).

Quote:
Something ate your buffer up in the 3 months time. Have you been doing regular water changes? You may have to do w/c every week in order to replace the alkalinity that is lost during nitrification. Every two weeks might not be cutting it.
I have been changing the water on a weekly basis though (20-25%). However, I only clean the gravel twice a month. One cleaning is just cursory (around the decorations and such), the second cleaning I actually remove my decorations and such. I also rinse my media and change my foam in my canister at this point.

I guess to be on the safe side (even though almost everyone here has recommended that I not do this), I ordered some pH buffer from the Dr's Foster and Smith website. I haven't used it yet, but am just generally worried about my fishes' overall health. I even got different substrate for the tank (I'm moving into a house at the end of this month, and figured I'd change it then), so I can get rid of that cheap Walmart stuff. I'm rambling at this point

I have not had opportunity to check out the water chem link at this point, b/c of my pops' hospital visit, but intend on reading that now.

Tags
low ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com