Constant water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saary

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 900L tank with 5 discus and 5 neon tetra fish 2 rainbow fish, Planted with gravel. I’m planning to have a constant water change by adding a city water line to the tank with a floating valve control.
Other drainage line sucks the water from the bottom of the tank to the outside controlled by a valve manually.
The incoming water will be controlled by the outgoing water. I plan to set the rate to change 30 - 50% of the water daily. In my country the water is free J
I have an eheim 2080 canester filter 1700 l/h flow .
My question is this going to be harmful in anyway? In regards of discus fish, beneficial bacteria, plants?
I appreciate any input.
Thanks in advance.

It's not a bad idea to pipe the incoming water into an aging tank first so that it has time to be aerated and dechlorinated if necessary. There are several writeups on how to do this, just google 'continuous drip'

thanks.
but what is the benefit of aerating and aging the water before adding it to the tank? Sorry but I’m new to the hobby.

Water coming from the tap is usually low in O2, so aging/aerating it will help stabilize the water before adding it. Also if tap water is treated with chlorine or chloramine you will want to treat it with a dechlorinator prior to it going into the aquarium.

pictures

2011-10-30%2B17.29.03.jpg

So if I’m replacing 30% of the water daily. Should I have same amount of water to be aged?
How long should I age the water?
I already have air pump in the tank.

There are a lot of different methods that come up if you google it. I've been toying around with the idea of doing a continuous drip system myself. I plan to age the water for about a day, aerating it which helps dissipate the chlorine in it as well.

If your source water isn't chlorinated you could run it straight into the tank, but I would be careful since it's going to be for some very sensitive fish.

Residual Chlorine
mg/l as Cl2
0.20 minimum – 0.50 maximum

this what it says in our water supply company. but when i test it with tetra stick test kit. it shows almost zero.

Just a suggestion, but instead of running the outgoing water through a valve, you might want to consider an overflow pipe. Just run a pipe up to the level of water you want to maintain. As new water comes in, your level exceeds the height of the pipe and you drain it out.

Doing it this way will prevent an overflow if, for any reason, your incoming water increases in volume due to a stuck valve, float bowl, or other failure. Then, you can adjust the incoming water for water turn over rate you wish to maintain and the drain will not have to be monitored.

Residual Chlorine
mg/l as Cl2
0.20 minimum – 0.50 maximum

this what it says in our water supply company. but when i test it with tetra stick test kit. it shows almost zero.

That's a small amount, which is why your test isn't picking it up Strip tests are notoriously inaccurate anyway. You do want to let that gas off or dechlorinate though.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom