constant water troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis74

Aquarium Advice Activist
for pretty close to a month now I have been battling cloudy water and losing. Started out as whitish cloud and moved to green water last week. Perhaps coincidentaly it started after I dosed the tank for phosphates with fleet enema. I have done numerous 50% + water changes to little or no avail. I added an XP2 and moved out the livestock rescaped and did a 100% water change, used carbon and purigen for two days, and yet here I am again. Do not know what to do. Is time for a blackout?
tank specs
2x96w cf
ph 6.8
kh 6
temp 79
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
no test for phosphates

the tank is 40g. I was dosing potassium nitrate but stopped last week when I decided to do the most recent water change. Just to see what happened.

Hey ya, i dont now if this will help, but i had that problem in my 45 gal tank, this what i did, added carbon, added polishing pads in the filter, did a 70% water change everyday for 4 days as well as a blackout. it worked for me HTH, and good luck

I had that problem over a year ago and nothing seemed to fix it. A 6-7 days black out helped, but then the problem came back. Then I got a UV filter and in less than a week the problem was gone never to return again.

I hear from the experts that the algae problem is due to an imbalance of nutrients. I have live plants and no CO2 equipment, so I dose with Flourish Excel every other day.

Now I use the UV filter in my QT tank.

If everything else fails, you may want to consider the UV filter. It is not cheap, but it works.

Back
Top Bottom