Constipation, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
My understanding is that constipation in fish is when the poop comes out slow or they have a string of poop coming out of them.

I don't know what is making my fish always constipated. They always have poop strings. Even my little fry, Juniper.

Any suggestions?

They have good pellet food, which only Juniper will eat, and they will only eat algae wafers. I do fast them on Sundays, PWC day. Should I change foods? Add brine shrimp?

All suggestions welcome.

Constipation can be caused by a lack of dietary fiber. Most flake or pellet foods are lacking in dietary fiber, so it is wise to give your fish other foods as well.
I personally supplement the diet of my fish with frozen brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, and deshelled cooked peas to help ward off constipation. If you have questions about how to prepare the peas, I can help or provide a link. They especially help, and if your fish don't want to eat them, you can soak them in garlic juice or get some SeaChem Garlic Guard.
Brine shrimp are also quite good, as is daphnia, which is probably small enough for Juniper to eat.
Just make sure you aren't overfeeding, as this can also cause constipation.
Another cause is pellets that take on water inside the stomach of the fish and swell up. To prevent this, it helps to soak the food in water before feeding.

Here's a link:
https://www.petcha.com/aquarium-fish-constipation/

If it gets really bad, you may have to do an Epsom salt bath.

Constipation can be caused by a lack of dietary fiber. Most flake or pellet foods are lacking in dietary fiber, so it is wise to give your fish other foods as well.
I personally supplement the diet of my fish with frozen brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, and deshelled cooked peas to help ward off constipation. If you have questions about how to prepare the peas, I can help or provide a link. They especially help, and if your fish don't want to eat them, you can soak them in garlic juice or get some SeaChem Garlic Guard.
Brine shrimp are also quite good, as is daphnia, which is probably small enough for Juniper to eat.
Just make sure you aren't overfeeding, as this can also cause constipation.
Another cause is pellets that take on water inside the stomach of the fish and swell up. To prevent this, it helps to soak the food in water before feeding.

Here's a link:
https://www.petcha.com/aquarium-fish-constipation/

If it gets really bad, you may have to do an Epsom salt bath.
I put a whole algae wafer in the tank every 1-2 days and they finish it in about half a day. (I have the kind that doesn't make a mess in your tank. Besides, it takes hours to get soft.) That is just with 2 adult guppies and 5 corydrayas minus Juniper. Maybe that is an overfeeding problem? They peck at it until it is gone.

I'd guess that means it's overfeeding, or they just aren't getting enough dietary fiber. I would strongly suggest getting some brine shrimp or daphnia and trying frozen peas.

I'd guess that means it's overfeeding, or they just aren't getting enough dietary fiber. I would strongly suggest getting some brine shrimp or daphnia and trying frozen peas.
I will get brine shrimp. I'll look at my grocery store for some and stop the algae until I get another snail.

If there are any pet stores around, most carry them. I don't think a grocery store would have any.

Wow, that's awesome! :) I wish my grocery store did, that way I'd avoid driving across town to the pet store.

Wow, that's awesome! :) I wish my grocery store did, that way I'd avoid driving across town to the pet store.
Our pet store is about 1/4 of a mile from the grocery. Haha.

This is what we have today and I have cut out algae wafers. Just pellet food. Getting brine today.1487356455983.jpg

That's wonderful! I'm glad to hear that.
I started giving them blood worms. The pet store didn't have brine shrimp. Juniper can sure take one down! They seem less poopy and the tank looks cleaner. I gave it a good scrub on Saturday along with a 50% PWC and good gravel vac. But I don't see a bunch of poop everywhere. Which is fantastic. Thanks for your help!

No problem! Glad to hear things are going better.
I actually watched one of them let out a little poop today. Just how we poop, she pooped. I am over the moon. The bloodworms bottle says to feed it to them twice per day. So I will be doing that as I have been for the past 5 days. They're no longer constipated and they're pooping like normal. Thank you so much for all your help. I am so glad my fish feel better. They seem happier now that they're not full of crap.1488063035661.jpg

Back
Top Bottom