Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Constipation, help!

My understanding is that constipation in fish is when the poop comes out slow or they have a string of poop coming out of them.

I don't know what is making my fish always constipated. They always have poop strings. Even my little fry, Juniper.

Any suggestions?

They have good pellet food, which only Juniper will eat, and they will only eat algae wafers. I do fast them on Sundays, PWC day. Should I change foods? Add brine shrimp?

All suggestions welcome.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Constipation can be caused by a lack of dietary fiber. Most flake or pellet foods are lacking in dietary fiber, so it is wise to give your fish other foods as well.
I personally supplement the diet of my fish with frozen brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, and deshelled cooked peas to help ward off constipation. If you have questions about how to prepare the peas, I can help or provide a link. They especially help, and if your fish don't want to eat them, you can soak them in garlic juice or get some SeaChem Garlic Guard.
Brine shrimp are also quite good, as is daphnia, which is probably small enough for Juniper to eat.
Just make sure you aren't overfeeding, as this can also cause constipation.
Another cause is pellets that take on water inside the stomach of the fish and swell up. To prevent this, it helps to soak the food in water before feeding.

Here's a link:
https://www.petcha.com/aquarium-fish-constipation/

If it gets really bad, you may have to do an Epsom salt bath.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminginBlue View Post
Constipation can be caused by a lack of dietary fiber. Most flake or pellet foods are lacking in dietary fiber, so it is wise to give your fish other foods as well.
I personally supplement the diet of my fish with frozen brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, and deshelled cooked peas to help ward off constipation. If you have questions about how to prepare the peas, I can help or provide a link. They especially help, and if your fish don't want to eat them, you can soak them in garlic juice or get some SeaChem Garlic Guard.
Brine shrimp are also quite good, as is daphnia, which is probably small enough for Juniper to eat.
Just make sure you aren't overfeeding, as this can also cause constipation.
Another cause is pellets that take on water inside the stomach of the fish and swell up. To prevent this, it helps to soak the food in water before feeding.

Here's a link:
https://www.petcha.com/aquarium-fish-constipation/

If it gets really bad, you may have to do an Epsom salt bath.
I put a whole algae wafer in the tank every 1-2 days and they finish it in about half a day. (I have the kind that doesn't make a mess in your tank. Besides, it takes hours to get soft.) That is just with 2 adult guppies and 5 corydrayas minus Juniper. Maybe that is an overfeeding problem? They peck at it until it is gone.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd guess that means it's overfeeding, or they just aren't getting enough dietary fiber. I would strongly suggest getting some brine shrimp or daphnia and trying frozen peas.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I'd guess that means it's overfeeding, or they just aren't getting enough dietary fiber. I would strongly suggest getting some brine shrimp or daphnia and trying frozen peas.
I will get brine shrimp. I'll look at my grocery store for some and stop the algae until I get another snail.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

If there are any pet stores around, most carry them. I don't think a grocery store would have any.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
If there are any pet stores around, most carry them. I don't think a grocery store would have any.
My grocery store has a fish section.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, that's awesome! I wish my grocery store did, that way I'd avoid driving across town to the pet store.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Wow, that's awesome! I wish my grocery store did, that way I'd avoid driving across town to the pet store.
Our pet store is about 1/4 of a mile from the grocery. Haha.

This is what we have today and I have cut out algae wafers. Just pellet food. Getting brine today.Click image for larger version

Name:	1487356455983.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	295067
Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you think they're looking better?

Tags
constipation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com