Contamination with laundry detergent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sighack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5 gallon bucket that I used for waste water when doing water changes. The other day I used that bucket for cleaning a pair of shoes in which laundry detergent was poured into the bucket. I rinsed the bucket out multiple times and even left it over night filled to the top with a generous amount of water conditioner in it. After that I filled it up in the sink with water and let the water over flow for a few minutes. Finally I boiled water with and poured it in the bucket before dumping it all out. Would it be safe for Aquarium use or should I just buy another bucket.

Oh my! That's a hard call. If the bucket is perfectly shiny smooth everywhere on the inside with no roughed up spots, you could be OK. But think, is a $6 bucket worth the risk? I personally would buy a new bucket & keep the old bucket for future soapy chores and no temptation. Take care, OS.

Yeah, it's probably ok to still use it (its a food grade bucket) but with my luck all my fish would die. I just bought a new bucket. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, a $6 bucket vs $100's of dollars in redoing your tank due to contamination. I'd go with a new bucket.

I would get a new bucket, I have three 5 gal buckets with the lids that I only use for my aquariums nothing else, and when I'm done I rinse them and I keep the lids on them to keep them clean.

Back
Top Bottom