Controlling Temperature With Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Painterroy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm into my first week of cycling and everything is going good so far. The only thing is the temperature in the tank is around 80 degrees at night and goes up to 84 in the day when I have the tank lights on (I do have live plants, so this is necessary).

If I do a partial water change each day (about 15%), when I finally get my betta (this is only a 5 gallon), and the new water I replace is colder (let's say about 50 degrees), and I pour carefully as to not upset the fish, do you think that will help keep the temperature a little more lower each day?

84 degrees seems too hot for most fish. Also, the water temperature should be held stable, as I believe even a fluctuation of one degree puts stress on fish.

I would only try to change the water temperature that much by adding hotter or colder water in an emergency, as the temperature change that you are talking about will put too much stress on your fish on a daily basis (shortening their lives a lot).

Here is an article about why it is unhealthy for fish to be kept in water that is too hot.

How to Keep Your Aquarium Cool by Aquariumpros.com staff

It also includes some possible solutions.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom