Converting reptile tank into fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danf310

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I bought a reptile tank from a friend of mine. It's clearly a reptile tank because of the slide screen configuration on the top cover of the tank. Anyway, my question is can i use it as a fish tank. It's about 50 gallons give or take.

The glass is a quarter inch thick and I was planning on reapplying silicone to strengthen the seals. I filled the tank about 3/4 full with water. It's been an hour now and it hasn't leaked or anything. If i keep the water in there for about a week and nothing significant has happened like cracks, leaks, etc, would it be ok to use it as an aquarium?

Tank dimensions are 15 width x 36 length x 18 height

The tank is pretty wide so I'm hoping that plays a role in dispersing more pressure compared to a taller fish tank, making it less susceptible to cracks from water pressure

Does it have a center brace?

Fill it full and let it sit. Is there any bowing?

No there's no center brace, would it help if I custom make one? It's bowing a little bit on side where the top screen slides out because there's no support

I've had a 30 gal long reptile tank running for about a year with no problem. It was also used for a couple years before to house a lizard and then a snake so you should be fine

Terrariums are not meant to hold water. If there is no center brace and the glass is already bowing when its not even completely full, do not use it for fish.

Back
Top Bottom