Converting Salt to Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Felix T Cat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I decided to start an aquarium at home recently. I got a pretty good deal on a Oceaniac 55 gallon that I picked up this afternoon. The previous owner had bought it with the intention of having a salt tank. After killing a number of fish he gave up and put the tank up for sale.

I had a "school fair" goldfish many many many years ago and he lived forever.

I read the posts about cycling the tank and I'm ok with that. My question is more about what came with the tank. 2 Large white stones and a number of smaller coral looking stones, about 2" of whiteish gravel in the bottom of the tank. Also have a Rena Filstar Xp2 filter system with the tank. No heater though. From what I have read I need to add one correct ?

I love the white look of the stones and gravel but can I use these in a new freshwater build ?. Should I wash everything to clean off any salt before starting my cycling or can I just fill the tank and get started.

Thank you for your help. My goal is to get it up and running with minimal death

Welcome to AA! Not sure about the rocks sorry. You will need a heater for sure for tropical fish. Do you have any idea what kind of tropical fish you want to have?

Thanks, that's the thing, I'm planning on freshwater fish for the tank as I really don't have the time or patience for salt fish. As I started researching I realized that the previous owner didn't have a heater.......Go figure why his fish were dying ?

I'm thinking of some simple freshwater fish, nothing too crazy to start with.

There are a lot of FW fish that are easy to care for. With a 55 gal you have lots of options available to you. Angelfish are a nice easy centerpiece fish.

Back
Top Bottom