Convict cichlid wont eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psingh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently purcased 2 convict cichlids, 1 male 1 female the female seems to be adapting fine to the tank and is eating well, but the larger male doesnt seem to want to come out and eat anythink im not sure if it has eat in 2 days, it comes out sometimes but assoon as it sees any kinda of movement BAM it gets scared as **** and runs under 1 flowerpot, im guessing he has marked this as his own terrortory becuase it doesnt let the female come into that pot, but as its only been 2 days since ive got them, the male might be scared? HELP...... THANKS.

180Ltr/48Galllon tank
Jewel rio 320 filter
jewel rio 320 heater
Gravel
3 flowerpots.
1 air pump with air wall.
2 convicts
Male - around 4 inch
Female around 2-3

Likely he just needs time to adjust.

How long has the tank been cycled?

Welcome to AA! :)

But i dont think hes eating, what if he dies?, Erm well the fish tank was previosly in use ages ago i cycled it then but then it was empty for about 2 months, altho i kept changeing some of the water each week.

And Yeahh thanks, nice forums :)

It sounds like the tank is not cycled. You will need to get a test kit (if you don't already have one) to test the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

And if it is starting the cycle again, you will proably have to do partial water changes daily until the cycle is over.

That will help your fish to survive the cycling. The best thing to speed the cycle along now would be to add some mature filter media from a healthy, well established tank.

That will help your fish to survive the cycling. The best thing to speed the cycle along now would be to add some mature filter media from a healthy, well established tank.

Lol, theres 1 problem there... Where will i get that fitler media from?

Friend, local shop, club? I am making a couple assumptions here though. ;)

Friend, local shop, club? I am making a couple assumptions here though. ;)

Erm none of my friends have it loool
ive heard that local pet shops usual are not good enough and may be over diaseasd

Erm club? LOOOL im not with you there you lost me ;P

Haven't you heard? Fish love banging night club music ;) they buzz out all night to it :p
When i had the same problem as you, nitrites shot up to about 10ppm with over £200 of fish in their i had to painstakingly change 25% of the water everyday i would probably say this is the best method Thats alot of boiled kettles ill tell you that much dunno how that effects your electricity bill. You can get Nitrite absorbing stuff but i would reccomend not using this as there will be no nitrites for the bacteria to feed off and for the quick solve that it will bring your nitrites will be the same again in a weeks time.

Haven't you heard? Fish love banging night club music ;) they buzz out all night to it :p
When i had the same problem as you, nitrites shot up to about 10ppm with over £200 of fish in their i had to painstakingly change 25% of the water everyday i would probably say this is the best method Thats alot of boiled kettles ill tell you that much dunno how that effects your electricity bill. You can get Nitrite absorbing stuff but i would reccomend not using this as there will be no nitrites for the bacteria to feed off and for the quick solve that it will bring your nitrites will be the same again in a weeks time.

Our synodontis catfish like Marilyn Manson. When I'm playing it and cleaning tanks they come out of hiding and want their bellies rubbed.

Well, one thing I did was since I was in the same boat was I bought 3 peices of driftwood that had a bunch of algea on it form petsmart, and threw them in the tank. Its not filter medium, but it helps...

Lol ill try some music sometime loll :D, hmm i dont use kettle water ? :S am i suppost to lol i just clean my tank and then get bath water and refill it?

Well, one thing I did was since I was in the same boat was I bought 3 peices of driftwood that had a bunch of algea on it form petsmart, and threw them in the tank. Its not filter medium, but it helps...

Thanks, But i dont want to fill my tank to much up. But algea grows enuf in my tank tho

Back
Top Bottom