convicts breeding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnmichx6

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 55 gallon tank which has a variety of cichclids fish 20-30. our largest is probably about 5-7 inches which is a male. he just recently breeder with another convict about 2 months ago. i think i think the same one and probably 4 others have eggs too. is this common? i am suspecting any day we should see some movement,

Convicts breed easily so yes this is common with convicts. They are like parents with their fry. Nice on the eggs! ^_^ What kind of cichlids do you have in your 55 gallon?

:thanks: lots of convicts, yellow tail acei, jack dempsey, jewel cichlids, yellow lab, kenyi, tiger oscar. i am trying to get more color. the convicts have taken over. were at 3 births in less then 3 months. todays birth actually came from our first batch, same "male and female" how often can the same female breed? :fish2:
our 55 gallon is at the foot of our bed. its so relaxing, i can stare at them for hours.

Wow. You have quite a mix there. Do you have plans for the oscars when they outgrow the others and the tank? Also some of the species you mentioned were rift lakers and would do better in a set-up especially for them. If your convicts are spawning i doubt many of the fry will survive being kept in that tank.
Best of luck.

You must have a strong filter to keep that tank clean especially with the oscar.

tnmichx6 said:
:thanks: lots of convicts, yellow tail acei, jack dempsey, jewel cichlids, yellow lab, kenyi, tiger oscar. i am trying to get more color. the convicts have taken over. were at 3 births in less then 3 months. todays birth actually came from our first batch, same "male and female" how often can the same female breed? :fish2:
our 55 gallon is at the foot of our bed. its so relaxing, i can stare at them for hours.

I hate to be that guy.. But im gonna be that guy and say that you probably have your tank triple overstocked. Even one oscar alone would be better in a 75 gallon. A few convicts would be okay. Dempsey is to big to have any tank mates at all in 55 gallon. And you have africans in there?.. Research all their max sizes and you'll see why there is a problem. First of all the 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon rule doesnt apply to SA/CA cichlids because of them being way to territorial. But lets say it does just to prove my point. You have:
JD- 10in
Oscar-14in
Convicts?- estimated together 25in
Jewels- 6x2?- 12in
Lab- 4in
Acei- 4in
Kenyi-4in

Thats 73inches of fish! That is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much. I cant stress how bad this can be unless their habitat is altered to fit each fish. U could keep one JD in a 55 gallon. Thats alone and maybe a bottom feeder. That is considered a maxed out tank. Now do you see why your tank is just mindblowingly overstocked! Please do your research.

There no all in one tank . Lol the Oscar is still in the hospital tank and he actual is in a 25 gallon with some live plants and smaller convicts. Maybe 6 at most. I appreciate the feed back. We actual had about 20 fry survive the last batch in may. Their about an 1 inch long. We just added a current to the 55 gallon. they seems to be loving it/ were adding another 55 gallon with a more plain natural set up. Once the breeding slows down.

Oh btw oscar is only 1 inch or so. I think my auto spell may have changed what i typed. My larges fish are a yellow tail he's 5 inches long and my male convict is about 4 inch long. Aside from one of my yellow labs he is about 3 inches. The remaining are all about 3 inch or under. Sorry for any mix up

Theres no mix up. The oscar needs his own 75 gallon. The dempsey needs his own 55 gallon. The convicts should not be with african cichlids at all and need to be a huge tank if u have over 20 of them.

Back
Top Bottom