Convicts with Jack dempseys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i had a jd and convict pair... female convict, male jd... they had babies... i think its one of those try and see if it works for you kind of things...

I think it really depends on the personality of the JD. I've seen two different tanks attempt this. One succeeded and has them living quite well togeather ans the others JD ate one convict ans terrorized the other. Guess that didn't really help much but that's my experiance.

I think you would be asking for trouble in a 55g if you mixed those two. Maybe in a 100+ gallon with tons of room and plants...but honestly I don't know about a 55gallon. Keep in mind, the fish you're looking at now will get larger, so having 2 potentially aggressive species in one tank in my opinion... I honestly wouldn't attempt it. (I have a good bit of experience with Convicts).

That being said, it depends on the personality of each fish in question. You may be able to pull it off, or you may have a massacre in your tank. There's no real way to tell without trying. If you really have your heart set on it though, I would encourage a larger, well planted tank. I would also turn the lights off in the tank and introduce the fish at the same time. That might help things go better.

Convicts enjoy hiding places like caves, driftwood, etc. Do you have anything like that already set up in your tank? How many fish do you plan to keep in your tank? Another important factor is if the tank in question is well planted? You'll need plenty of room for each of them to establish territories if you do this, having a tank with plenty of plants/hiding spots might help.

Another thing to keep in mind- Convict Cichlid's breed like rabbits!! Do you have a backup plan/extra tank for potential fry?

Back
Top Bottom